Best Vegan Restaurant You've Ever Been to

Zardyplants

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I'm starting to travel more and I just want to try the best vegan food where ever I go. What's everyone's favorite place to eat? It can be anywhere.

Certainly a really great place to try if you're in the area is Mundo Vegan just outside Funchal in Madeira. Not an extensive menu, but very well executed. I was particularly impressed by the mushroom carbonara.

Not that Madeiran cuisine is greatly supportive of vegan cooking, but we also found several restaurants there without much that was vegan but which basically said we should just tell the chef what we wanted and he'd cook it. And they did.

My favourite of all time would be Buddha's Veggies in Calgary, AB. Favourite near here would be EnVie in Halifax.

I used to love Blackbird Pizzeria in Philly, but alas, I've heard that they've closed for good. They had the best vegan pizza I've ever had and some really unique combinations.

Vedge in Philly is run by the same people who used to run my other favorite (now-closed) vegan restaurant, Horizons. Their food is inventive and just fantastic. It's a bit pricy, but totally worth it.

Peacefood Cafe in New York City has great meals and even better desserts. It has a deli/diner vibe, very laid-back.

If you're ever in Middletown, Connecticut, try ION restaurant. Great food. I used to go there all the time when I lived there. They switch up the menu seasonally, which keeps things interesting. Their desserts are decent for the most part, but nothing outstanding. If you'd rather skip dessert, walk down the street to Nora Cupcakes. They always have two three vegan varieties, and they are delicious.

Reactions: KLS52
I'd recommend Alice and Friends, that's in Chicago Illinois.
I went there because I saw they had vegan crab rangoon. I loved their thai iced tea, corn chowder, tacos and drumsticks. Amazing experience.
I'd also recommend Stand Up Burgers, Chicago Diner and Native Food cafe. Chicago Diner has the best vegan milk shakes. Chicago Diner is fully vegetarian, they will ask you if you want the vegan or vegetarian version when it comes to cheese for your burger, or which milk for your coffee. It's mostly vegan. I haven't been there yet but I hope I can visit some day - Kitchen 17 is worth checking out. That is a 100% vegan pizzeria and bakery.

Last edited:
There are not that many totally vegan restaurants around here. I have been to one in Orlando that is very well known and excellent. It is called Ethos Vegan Kitchen.
In Daytona Beach I have been to Kale Cafe and Juice Bar which is Jamaican food.
In DeLand where I live there is De La Vega which is not strictly vegan but has a vegan menu.

Bright Star Vegan Thai is amazing. They're in Rancho Cucamonga in Southern California.

Dein Deli in Leipzig Germany is small but has delicious food.

Last edited:
I was two weeks ago in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia. I finished my trip to the Camino de Santiago that I started in France and I discovered a pretty good vegan restaurant, "A Porta Verde". It has dishes of all kinds, but mostly focuses on salads and other dishes with vegetables. Highly recommended. Here you can see the menu and some pictures. If you ever travel to Santiago de Compostela, I recommend it.

Reactions: silva and Emma JC
I was two weeks ago in Santiago de Compostela, Galicia. I finished my trip to the Camino de Santiago that I started in France and I discovered a pretty good vegan restaurant, "A Porta Verde". It has dishes of all kinds, but mostly focuses on salads and other dishes with vegetables. Highly recommended. Here you can see the menu and some pictures. If you ever travel to Santiago de Compostela, I recommend it.
Oh, wow, congratulations on making that journey. It's on my list of things I want to do! And very cool on the vegan restaurant.

Reactions: mariasonte
I can say that Taipei, Taiwan is by far the best city for vegan food in the world. Some mentionable vegan restaurants worldwide would include Matthew Kenny’s Alibi in Sydney, Australia
Planta in Toronto, Canada,
Kaime in Medellin, Colombia.

If you ever go to Ann Arbor Michigan check out the Detroit Filling Station, get the lavender tea drink for sure. 🌱 I also like fried rice and pad Thai.

I live in a small town and we're bereft of 100% vegan restaurants. That said, there are many who accommodate me with tofu substitutes. My favourite is 1-2-3 Thai.

Reactions: PTree15
My favourite of all time would be Buddha's Veggies in Calgary, AB. Favourite near here would be EnVie in Halifax.
It's been nearly 20 years since I was in Calgary, so I thought I'd see if Buddha's Veggies was still in business. Turns out it closed in 2019. That wasn't a huge surprise. What really surprised me was that apparently they went non-vegetarian (not just non-vegan) in 2009! Sad when that happens.

I can say that Taipei, Taiwan is by far the best city for vegan food in the world. Some mentionable vegan restaurants worldwide would include Matthew Kenny’s Alibi in Sydney, Australia
Planta in Toronto, Canada,
Kaime in Medellin, Colombia.
Yeah I went to about 5 vegan places when I was there, awesome!

Vedge in Philly is run by the same people who used to run my other favorite (now-closed) vegan restaurant, Horizons. Their food is inventive and just fantastic. It's a bit pricy, but totally worth it.
I think I've actually been here possibly in about 2017. I can't recall what I ate but I seem to recall several courses and it was pretty fancy but just about within the acceptable amount to claim on expenses as it was a business trip.

Reactions: PTree15
Ah - I just realized that the Philadelphia and Taiwan restaurants were on the same trip. Now I think of it, I caught a train from Philadelphia to New York and a flight to Taipei from JFK.