Best vegan Faux Meat brands?

Mork

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Whats the best product or brand you know of for these typical home meals?

I guess its opinion and personal preference but in terms of popularity?

I find Quorn hot dogs okish, once mustard hides their flavor, and ketchup.

Green cuisine beef burgers are the best I can find for a burger substitute I add Worcestershire sauce to enhance the flavor.

Morning star are my fav brand for chicken nuggets and bbq sauce helps make them bearable

I am struggling to be honest Ive been a meat eater all my life and vegan products are very much a sacrifice im making for the sake of the animals.

(also I think this is why you shouldnt tell people that vegan diets are awesome and yummy because they will try them and they will know the truth when they do and now you look like a conman and someone they do not like, I think short sighted ideas like that hurt our cause rather than help

(vegan diets dont taste better that is a subjective opinion, but a p[popular opinion a more popular opinion is that meat based meals usually taste better than a vegan only dish, and we probably evolved to prefer it this way, so this whole sell it and persuade and then they find out you are "conning" them or at least have an unpopular opinion, I dont think thats a wise effective or clever tactic do you?)

Last edited:

Green cuisine beef burgers are the best I can find for a burger substitute I add Worcestershire sauce to enhance the flavor.

Morning star are my fav brand for chicken nuggets and bbq sauce helps make them bearable

I am struggling to be honest Ive been a meat eater all my life and vegan products are very much a sacrifice im making for the sake of the animals.

(also I think this is why you shouldnt tell people that vegan diets are awesome and yummy because they will try them and they will know the truth when they do and now you look like a conman and someone they do not like, I think short sighted ideas like that hurt our cause rather than help

(vegan diets dont taste better that is a subjective opinion, but a p[popular opinion a more popular opinion is that meat based meals usually taste better than a vegan only dish, and we probably evolved to prefer it this way, so this whole sell it and persuade and then they find out you are "conning" them or at least have an unpopular opinion, I dont think thats a wise effective or clever tactic do you?)

Beyond Meat is considered to be a very realistic mock meat. Even the mainstream hamburger restaurants are selling it now.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Mork

Are you vegan now, or still attempting to transition?
There are many cultures that have been solely vegetarian for centuries, and I'm not sure we need a long ancestral base to dictate taste preferences, though foods we are raised on are certainly a strong addiction.
When I was growing up I was exposed to a wide range of foods. My grandmother cooked with many vegetables, I had friends and relatives with gardens, both fruit and veg. My grade school served soy burgers and to this day I look for their taste and texture that I remember - I really loved old school soy products.
Being plant based is much the same as omnivorous diets. The healthy versions are often to hard to start and stick to if you don't have a particular health issue.
I love Beyond Sausage, as well as their ground, but those are like a substitute for fast food-not often.
Most of my diet is based on beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and vegetables. Soups, casseroles, or bowl type foods where it's a grain, a bean and a veg and sauce or seasonings

I'm curious what you've disliked so much? I find most people aren't vegan so much for not liking the food as much as it not being the norm, and hard to please everyone in their family
Have you browsed our What we eat sections?

Are you vegan now, or still attempting to transition?
There are many cultures that have been solely vegetarian for centuries, and I'm not sure we need a long ancestral base to dictate taste preferences, though foods we are raised on are certainly a strong addiction.
When I was growing up I was exposed to a wide range of foods. My grandmother cooked with many vegetables, I had friends and relatives with gardens, both fruit and veg. My grade school served soy burgers and to this day I look for their taste and texture that I remember - I really loved old school soy products.
Being plant based is much the same as omnivorous diets. The healthy versions are often to hard to start and stick to if you don't have a particular health issue.
I love Beyond Sausage, as well as their ground, but those are like a substitute for fast food-not often.
Most of my diet is based on beans, lentils, tofu, tempeh, seitan, and vegetables. Soups, casseroles, or bowl type foods where it's a grain, a bean and a veg and sauce or seasonings

I'm curious what you've disliked so much? I find most people aren't vegan so much for not liking the food as much as it not being the norm, and hard to please everyone in their family
Have you browsed our What we eat sections?

Im vegetarian right now, im off meat, I will go full vegan when I can. Thanks for the suggestions!

OMG it all just tastes like sh,*t to me, well for the most part, not all of it, you get some lucky brands that give you a flukey product thats nice, but other than that its much less pleasurable than how I used to eat.

Not only does it not taste as nice it doesn't satisfy you the same way. But I will soldier on, because my heart /empathy feels better and more peaceful and that is a much better satisfaction

Last edited:
Im vegetarian right now, im off meat, I will go full vegan when I can. Thanks for the suggestions!

OMG it all just tastes like sh,*t to me, well for the most part, not all of it, you get some lucky brands that give you a flukey product thats nice, but other than that its much less pleasurable than how I used to eat.

Not only does it not taste as nice it doesn't satisfy you the same way. But I will soldier on, because my heart /empathy feels better and more peaceful
What are the foods you like? Not just veg, but in general?
Do you like any beans or lentils? What kind of cultural cuisines do you like? Seasonings?
My one son is omnivore but will often ask me to make tofu--just extra firm, cubed, sprinkled with Braggs aminos (or diluted soy sauce) then shaken in a bag of cornstarch with garlic powder and black pepper. I just lightly saute in a cast iron with a bit of oil till golden, flipping around. He likes it with broccoli and rice, or noodles

Reactions: Mork

Not only does it not taste as nice it doesn't satisfy you the same way. But I will soldier on, because my heart /empathy feels better and more peaceful

Beyond Meat is arguably the most convincing beef substitute.

“Big Franks”, from the Loma Linda brand, are arguably one of the best hot dog substitutes.

“Field Roast” sausages seem to be very realistic.

Flavor can be augmented with meat sauces, as some of these sauces are unintentionally vegetarian. A-1 Steak Sauce is vegan. Spicy mustard is also a good sauce.

You might also enjoy focusing on pasta or rice dishes, as these don’t depend primarily on meat for flavor.

In the UK, vegetarian Indian dishes are popular. If your local Indian restaurant has a buffet, you can try different things. The dal (lentil) spiced stews, mixed with rice, are good and filling. Samosas are Indian fried dumplings, with spiced potatoes and peas inside. If you like the dishes, you buy them for take-away at your local Indian grocery, or you can buy the pre-made spice mixtures and cook the lentils and rice yourself.

Indian samosas:

1590199238725.png

Indian dal (lentils) and rice. I think it's better if you mix the lentils into the rice.

1590199331295.png

Pre-made spice mix for Indian lentil curry, available at Indian grocery markets:

1590199613269.png

Take-away food at Indian grocery. If you live in a larger city, you might have an Indian grocery or Indian "spices and sweets" shop (like a small grocery) near you.

1590199944505.png

Here's a Indian shop in London, UK. All vegetarian.

1590201235434.png

Last edited:
Reactions: silva and PTree15
Beyond Meat and Gardein are my favorite, sometimes I like having Field Roast frankfurters, May Wah ham and drumsticks, Trader Joe's soyrizo, Morningstar ribs.
Gardein seems to have the most variety out of all of them, what's available is varied a lot by the store. I get excited when I see something I haven't in a while, disappointed if I'm missing something. Luckily, most of Gardien can be ordered online.
No one did vegan turkey right until Gardein. Their turkey cutlets are amazing, the gravy is delicious. I don't find most vegan burgers all that appealing, but Beyond Meat did that best. I don't consider Impossible Burger edible, black bean burgers are yuck to me. Before Beyond Meat, I would just stick to vegan chicken patties. Pure farmland has nice breakfast patties. Quorn makes me sick, so I can't eat that.
What I noticed is when you cut off certain food for a long time you lose your taste for it. So veganism may be difficult at first, you'll miss your favorite foods, but the vegan food is delicious.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
Oh wow Aldi's has vegan meat now? I'm very interested in their chicken tenders, that looks good. Hah, not that it matters to me right now. The closest Aldi's is 9 hours away. Maybe for when I'm back at mom's. The closest Trader Joe's is 3 hours away, too. I'm surprised by how much I miss that place.

Last edited:
I like Beyond Burgers, Aldi's chik'n tenders, Boca vegan chik'n patties and Gardein 7-grain tenders, fishless filets and beefless tips. I haven't had Gardein in ages because of the price. Aldi's also has a decent veggie burger, and its prices are cheaper than Gardein's.

I like Beyond Burgers, Aldi's chik'n tenders, Boca vegan chik'n patties and Gardein 7-grain tenders, fishless filets and beefless tips. I haven't had Gardein in ages because of the price. Aldi's also has a decent veggie burger, and its prices are cheaper than Gardein's.

I also love, love Boca chik'n burgers. Hate Gardein fishless filets and love BB burgers. Sadly, none are available over here.

I also love, love Boca chik'n burgers. Hate Gardein fishless filets and love BB burgers. Sadly, none are available over here.
Haha, I do remember that. :D I think Boca has the best chik'n patties out of all the ones I've tried. I don't like many of their other products, though. I think their vegan veggie burger is awful. :D

• Agree
Reactions: silva
Haha, I do remember that. :D I think Boca has the best chik'n patties out of all the ones I've tried. I don't like many of their other products, though. I think their vegan veggie burger is awful. :D

I agree. I used to have one for my breakfast during my stay in CA last year.

Reactions: PTree15
Oh wow Aldi's has vegan meat now? I'm very interested in their chicken tenders, that looks good. Hah, not that it matters to me right now. The closest Aldi's is 9 hours away. Maybe for when I'm back at mom's. The closest Trader Joe's is 3 hours away, too. I'm surprised by how much I miss that place.
Danielle, the gray text that you are using is difficult to read. Can you please switch to black, or some other color with better contrast?

@Mork--where are you now? You've never answered what types of food you DO like- that would help loads when trying to suggest vegan options!
Vegan foods are every bit as varied as animal based foods

Reactions: PTree15 and David3
Penn Gillette said that you have to reset your taste buds. I had difficulty with Just Egg. I hadn't eaten scrambled eggs in so many decades that my taste had changed so that I realized I didn't like the taste of scrambled eggs. Some longtime vegans have had similar problems with the faux meats. Their tastes had changed,so they didn't like something that tasted like meat.