Beer Bottle Herb Garden

LoreD

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I have the AeroGarden Herb Garden because I live in an apartment. Each of the pods had 3 or 4 plants, which they told me to discard.

Heck, No.

I thought that if they could grow in water in the AeroGarden, then they would grow in water in beer bottles. I chose beer bottles because the dark color would prevent bacteria from growing, and also because I had a bunch of them in my recycling. Sprecher's pop bottles work even better because they are bigger.

I put some water, plant food, and the extra plants in the the beer bottles; and they just took off. I have to keep a close eye on them because the water goes down fast, but the herb plants are growing like crazy.

I pulled some mint plants out of a friend's front yard. They are invasive and she didn't even know they were there. I took some spaghetti jars out of the recycling and wrapped them in aluminum foil. Water, plant food, and the mint plant. Growing like crazy.

About every 2 weeks, I replace the water and plant food in the beer and pop bottles. I think wine bottles would work really well, too.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Lou and Chryssie

silva

Forum Legend
Supporter
Reaction score
Why would the apt care about an aerogarden?
That sounds wonderful,but I never had that kind of luck! I can't do farther than bean sprouts, or growing green onions in a jar!

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
That sounds wonderful,but I never had that kind of luck! I can't do farther than bean sprouts, or growing green onions in a jar!
I don't think it was that apartment the told her to throw out the herbs that came with it. I think was the directions on the AeroGarden. they probably just include the cheapest things in their starter kit. then you get to buy the plants you like and also spend more money.

LoreD

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan

The AeroGarden directions were to thin out the seedlings and then discard the extras.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.