Been eating Rice & Veggies for a week straight!

JohnW

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello again everyone.

First off I'm sorry I haven't been more active on this community. When I asked for help a while ago I received plenty of useful advice which has greatly improved my quality of life. I am very grateful :)

Now onto what this thread is all about...

I've been eating rice & veggies for a week straight now. Not that I haven't enjoyed myself! I have! But... I really would like some more variety in my life.

My daily routine has been like so:
Breakfast: Fruit, or Cereal with fresh Almond or Coconut milk, Oats with Peanut butter
Pre-Lunch: 1 cup of Peanuts or Cashews
Lunch: BIG serving of Rice & Veggies
Dinner: Yogurt, Cereal, Soup, or more nuts.

The only other vegan meals I have discovered that I actually enjoy are home-made fries, falafel sandwhiches, hummus & chips, peanut butter & banana sandwiches.

My main question for you is this...
What is the simplest (AND CHEAPEST) diet you can get away with eating while still getting all the nutrients you need? Can I eat ONLY rice & (frozen) veggies and still be getting all the nutrients I need?

Secondary (optional) question:
Do you have any recipe ideas for truly simple meals (like rice & veggies) that I can prepare before I go to work in a timely manner that are still delicious? I hate bland food. I always season my veggies/rice differently each day and use different kinds of rice to switch things up. So far rice & veggies is the only thing I have not become sick of very quickly. I used to switch between the other dishes I know of / like for lunch/dinner but I QUICKLY became sick of most of them.

I really want to get a bigger database of simple food :)

Hi John,

1) It is difficult to give an absolute answer but people that tried simple diets seem to be doing just fine. I am one of those people eating mainly fruits and rice. Others are eating mainly potatoes and are doing well, like this guy: http://www.spudfit.com/about-spud-fit ... so it seems that eating simple meals focused on one or two items are not a problem (but I found no studies to support or not this idea). Consider taking a B12 supplement either way.

2) My current favourite meal is
microwave brown rice, such as this one http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257004208
pour vegan milk over it (I use rice milk currently, but any would do)
add on top dried apricots or dried cherries (got them from Costco).

Looks something like this with cherries:

20161031_200317.jpg

Hi John,

1) It is difficult to give an absolute answer but people that tried simple diets seem to be doing just fine. I am one of those people eating mainly fruits and rice. Others are eating mainly potatoes and are doing well, like this guy: http://www.spudfit.com/about-spud-fit ... so it seems that eating simple meals focused on one or two items are not a problem (but I found no studies to support or not this idea). Consider taking a B12 supplement either way.

2) My current favourite meal is
microwave brown rice, such as this one http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=257004208
pour vegan milk over it (I use rice milk currently, but any would do)
add on top dried apricots or dried cherries (got them from Costco).

Looks something like this with cherries:

View attachment 364

That is comforting news.

It has been on my list for a while to get B12, Iron, Zinc and magnesium supplements. However I was told by a nutritionist that I trust some scary information about vitamins. Apparently unless they are REALLY expensive, they are probably toxic garbage, so I'm very careful where I get my vitamins from.

I don't do well mixing fruit with a whole lot of stuff, especially dried. For some reason I've had the best luck with bananas. At least for mixing in with other things.

That rice stuff does look good though.

On another note...

I remember reading somewhere a LONG time ago that the oldest living man ever recorded was just a tad over 200 years old and was still able to ride a bike. According to the story, he ate nothing but rice & veggies most of his life that he grew himself. Of course, this was a long time ago when the air, water, and earth was much cleaner and less toxic in general. This article has since disappeared from the web... My guess is the government paid to have it discredited as they love to do. Anyway. It's a story I could never forget. I must say that the rice & veggies all week made me feel GREAT and I noticed I healed from little cuts and injuries MUCH faster than normal.