Baked, boiled or steamed?

Veganite

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I am a novice seitan worshiper (pun intended) and was wondering what your preferred method of cooking it is. I realize each method creates different textures and firmness, but overall, what one do you prefer, and why?

I'd really love to see your seitan recipes too. I am in the early stages of experimentation with recipes, so I am open to trying different ones.

Three main goals I have for my own seitan are:

1/ Jerky like snacks, for convenience, road trips, etc.

2/ Gyro/Donairs

3/ Sausages, steaks, and burgers

I usually bake my seitan that I use for sandwiches. It's just easier and faster to do it that way. I started adding more liquid to it so it's not as tough. I haven't tried steaming it yet but it's on my to do list. I've made steak out of it and for that it was divided into fours and boiled then fried. It had a good texture coming out like that. I got the recipe off of youtube. I couldn't make it with all the same ingredients though because I could not find mushroom powder anywhere other than online and it's expensive.

@amberfunk

Thanks for your input.

I'm still learning how to refine my seitan recipes. Personally, I never follow recipes, exactly. The baking method seems to keep it firmer, which works well for my jerky. Tomorrow I'll take a stab at making some steaks.

Oh, and by the way, mushroom powder is simply mushrooms that have been dehydrated and then ground. It would be totally easy to make your own. I'd recommend using a more flavorful mushroom like a porcini or shiitaki if you do. If you have a food dehydrator, you can even dry your own. I absolutely love Chanterelle shrooms. I go pick those every fall here where I live. I always end up dehydrating pounds of them. The powder actually adds a lot of umami flavour, and is well worth the effort.