Attack of the ticks (with picture)

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
A couple of months ago myself and the other two Summers started planning our autumn holiday in Norway. One of the things we had been advised to do was getting a vaccine against TBE, the tick-borne encephalitis virus, because this has recently started spreading across the country, and we were planning to do a bit of woodsy activities.

With some effort we were able to get the first two shots (out of three shots in total) of the vaccine before we left. (Well, little miss Summer actually had to get the second shot here in Norway.) Anyway, in my whole life, to my knowledge I've ever only had two tick bites, so I didn't really think I would really need the vaccine right now, but I thought I might as well do it sooner rather than later.

Well, fast forward to today, and lo and behold! Not only one tick, but two! Fortunately, I had previously watched a video on how to remove them, so I think I did a decent job there.

Now I just hope they didn't carry some other disease, like borrelia! Suddenly, walking in the woods feels a bit less relaxing :(

IMG_20160909_185816.jpg

The first little bandit had started to burrow into my chest near the armpit, and the other one tried to attach to the back of my leg.

A couple of months ago myself and the other two Summers started planning our autumn holiday in Norway. One of the things we had been advised to do was getting a vaccine against TBE, the tick-borne encephalitis virus, because this has recently started spreading across the country, and we were planning to do a bit of woodsy activities.

With some effort we were able to get the first two shots (out of three shots in total) of the vaccine before we left. (Well, little miss Summer actually had to get the second shot here in Norway.) Anyway, in my whole life, to my knowledge I've ever only had two tick bites, so I didn't really think I would really need the vaccine right now, but I thought I might as well do it sooner rather than later.

Well, fast forward to today, and lo and behold! Not only one tick, but two! Fortunately, I had previously watched a video on how to remove them, so I think I did a decent job there.

Now I just hope they didn't carry some other disease, like borrelia! Suddenly, walking in the woods feels a bit less relaxing :(

View attachment 9767

The first little bandit had started to burrow into my chest near the armpit, and the other one tried to attach to the back of my leg.
It's good that you found them and were able to get them removed. I don't know how it is with tick-borne diseases other than Lyme, but usually, if the tick hasn't fed and isn't engorged, you are pretty safe. I used to end up with ticks embedded in me every year when Thor was still around...he was an indoor/outdoor kitty. So he was always bringing them into the house. I don't much walking in wooded/leafy areas now so my exposure is minimal.

I did contract Lyme disease years ago and had a pretty rough time of it. I imagine none of the tick-borne diseases would be fun. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah, ticks. You haven't lived until you've tried to get a tick before it burrowed into your cat's anus. (Done successfully, twice.) :p

Oh my gosh, lol.

did contract Lyme disease years ago and had a pretty rough time of it. I imagine none of the tick-borne diseases would be fun. :(
Ouch, sorry to hear that. Do you still suffer from the effects, or did they go away after a while?

I do have some residual issues but nothing too terrible. :)

Ouch! Hugs to all:hug:.
I had a tick in my ear when i was 4, and that was quite an unpleasant experience. :eek:Fortunately, i didn't get any desease

Ticks are rampant now in Scandinavia thanks to warmer winters. Dogs and cats get them pretty often as they're nosing around in the grass.
Yes, I can see that. It seems all the nasty diseases and bugs previously only found in southern climates are moving north. It makes me want to move somewhere even further north!