Atkins Lobbying Efforts

from what I was able to google it appears they have an estimated revenue of $30 million annually and have Rob Lowe as their spokesperson

Emma JC

So the Atkins diet is just another version of a Low Carb diet.

I think it (and all the other variations) remain popular is because almost everyone knows someone who lost 10 pounds on a low carb diet.

For many people, it's an easy diet to follow.

What I don't think most people realize that it is not sustainable. I think most of the reputable doctors who shill their low carb diets put somewhere in the directions that you can't stay on it for longer than 6 months. I think even Dr Atkins in his book recommends it only for a short time period.

So the issue is what happens when you go off of it. And for most people its that they just gain the weight back.

Plus study after study* has shown that low carb diets are not good for you. Ketogenesis is not good for you. High protein diets are not good for you and high-fat diets are not good for you.

However, getting less fat is almost always the biggest thing you can do to improve your health. The benefits of losing some weight is pretty much indisputable. And there is no doubt that many people lose weight on Atkins and other low carb diets. Hence it is popular.

But I can't believe they are lobbying for it. Have they been drinking their own kool-aid?

Reactions: Emma JC