Artisan Vegan Cheese cookbook

That book looks good. The best vegan cheese I have ever encountered was this cashew cheese this girl was selling at the market. It was like a spreadable cheese. Had a good taste but I dont know how she made it.

Cashew "Cheese" Log
3/4 cup raw cashews
3 Tbsp olive oil
3 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
3 Tbsp fresh-squeezed, strained lemon juice
a pinch of finely grated lemon rind
1 Tbsp tahini

water as needed
1 3/4 tsp salt, or to taste
1/4 cup chopped pecans

1/4 cup chopped dried cranberries

Place cashews in a large bowl; cover and soak with 3 inches of water, overnight.
Drain liquid, rinse cashews under cold water.

Puree cashews, oils, lemon juice, tahini, salt and 2 tbsp (or less) water in a food processor until smooth and creamy. (Only use as much water as needed to make it blend well).
Place large strainer over the bowl, and line w/ triple layers of cheesecloth.

Scrape cashew mixture out of food processor bowl into cloth.
Fold sides over cheese and form into a longish oval loaf, whatever fits in the strainer. Twist ends of cloth and secure w/ rubber bands like a big sausage. (You'll have to cut your cheesecloth to fit beforehand probably, I fiddled with this part quite a bit because I really wanted that "log" shape...).
Set the log in strainer over bowl, and let stand 12 hours at room temperature. Dump excess liquid.
Preheat your oven to 200 degrees F.

Line baking sheet w/ parchment paper or spray lightly. Unwrap cheese from wet cheesecloth and roll/scrape and scrape into the same log shape on a fresh pc. of dry cheesecloth. Rewrap and twist ends to secure. Put on baking sheet and bake.
Bake 35+ minutes, or until cheese becomes set on the outside but still soft, turn it occasionally. This may take longer. Cool and chill (still wrapped) in fridge several hours.
Unwrap cheese.

Gently roll in the chopped cranberries and then the pecans, pressing to adhere and keep "log" shape. Chill until serving.
Slice and serve with crackers. SOOOO yum!!
From Tofu-n-sproutz.blogspot.com
I never got around to baking it, I served it with crackers as a cold spread. It's probably more amazing baked!

I love her blog!

Here's what I've made so far:
Boursin-I added extra herbs,garlic and a little pepper,and served it with crackers and veggies. Boyfriend thought it tasted like dairy cheese-success!
Pub Cheddar-Super yum over broccoli and potatoes.
Sun Dried Tomato Basil cheese- I'm embarassed to say I ate most of this myself,mainly on crackers and baguette...
Air-dried Cheddar- A bit salty,but still good. I think I used the wrong brand of miso for this one.
There's some gruyere culturing on my kitchen counter,so I'll report back and let you know how it turned out.

Silva, that's very similar to a spread that I make except I significantly cut down on the oil, adding a bit more cashews, more lemon juice for moisture and 1/2 tsp black pepper, and some garlic instead of cranberries and pecans and I roll it in minced parsley with additional cracked black pepper. I only make it for gatherings around the holidays because I'd scarf down the lot myself, it's that good.

That book looks like something I wouldn't mind adding to my collection. I've made a lot of things from Joanne Stepaniak's 'The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook' which were pretty popular but that looks like it's taking vegan cheeses to a whole new level. I have Myioko Schinner's 'New Now & Zeb Epicure' book and have used it pretty consistently for years.

holy moly, I left out the garlic! Shouldn't paste recipes, cause I always modify them!
Garlic is a must! In fact, I didn't add cranberries nor pecans because I didn't bake it, just used as a spread. No coconut oil either.
I also have the Uncheese book. Not often used, but a great keeper!
Amazon has a LOT of recipes from the Artisan book in the "look inside" feature. Too complicated for me, but I'd love to try!

Here's what I've made so far:
Boursin-I added extra herbs,garlic and a little pepper,and served it with crackers and veggies. Boyfriend thought it tasted like dairy cheese-success!
Pub Cheddar-Super yum over broccoli and potatoes.
Sun Dried Tomato Basil cheese- I'm embarassed to say I ate most of this myself,mainly on crackers and baguette...
Air-dried Cheddar- A bit salty,but still good. I think I used the wrong brand of miso for this one.
There's some gruyere culturing on my kitchen counter,so I'll report back and let you know how it turned out.

Are these recipes in the cookbook mentioned in the opening post?

The Boursin is! You need rejuvelac, and cultered cashew something which are both in the look inside!
It sounds so good, but takes a few days to ferment everything...

mlp, I'm not sure. I can't access the look inside feature to see what recipes are offered.

Where do you get your recipes?

The Boursin is! You need rejuvelac, and cultered cashew something which are both in the look inside!
It sounds so good, but takes a few days to ferment everything...

Thanks!

I may have to try making my own "cheese" - haven't found a vegan "cheese" yetthat's worth the price.

mlp, these are all listed in the index and it seems like you can get several of these recipes just using the 'look inside' feature on Amazon. The pub cheddar, the boursin, and the air dried cheddar can be accessed. Most authors usually aren't that generous with sharing.

I just checked, and my local library has this book! All three copies are checked out right now, but I've put a hold on it.

Wow, you have a great library. Mine only has a sad little handful of veg*n cookbooks, most of which I already own. I couldn't even locate this book in the regional library system so, if I want to read it, I'm going to have to order it.

Wow, you have a great library. Mine only has a sad little handful of veg*n cookbooks, most of which I already own. I couldn't even locate this book in the regional library system so, if I want to read it, I'm going to have to order it.

Yes, the library here is awesome! They've got a good selection of vegan and vegetarian books already, and I borrow pretty much every cookbook I'm interested in before I decide to buy it or not. I recently requested that they purchase Vegan Sandwiches Save the Day, and they ordered four copies. I just got an email that one is on hold for me and available to pick up! I was also excited yesterday that they've got Terry Hope Romero's new book (Vegan Eats World) on order, and I was the second person to place a hold on it. They're getting three copies, so I'll get to borrow it right away.

Where do you get your recipes?

Sorry,I should've mentioned I got the recipes from the cookbook,and not the link. I was just curious about what was available through amazon. The cheese issue of VegNews has some recipes as well- brie, swiss, sharp cheddar, chevre, cream cheese and buffalo mozzarella.
The soft gruyere was really good after 12 hours of culturing,and then I ruined it by making the hard gruyere version. It didn't seem to thicken up enough,so I added more carrageenan. Big mistake. It has a weird flavor,kind of like fish. No idea what to do with it now.