New Documentary- A Prayer for Compassion.

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Award-Winning Documentary About Veganism And Religion Debuts On Amazon Prime

Executive Producer and celebrity actor Jerome Flynn says the film 'has the power to transform the lives of millions of people'​

"Award-winning documentary A Prayer for Compassion, which links religion and veganism together, is now available to stream on Amazon Prime.

The film, which is executively produced by celebrity actor Jerome Flynn, follows director Thomas Jackson across America to Morocco for the UN World Climate Conference, and throughout the Indian subcontinent."

You can watch it on Amazon Prime or rent it

I'm don't like religion. But I have been interested in compassion for quite a while. I'm going to watch it and hope that people who do watch it will comment on it here.

I watched last night. The first part was OK. It got repetitive towards the middle and I stopped paying close attention to it. I didn't quite get to the end, but I plan on watching the last part tonight.

I am not into religion at all. I'm just a little spiritual. But I am interested in compassion and that is what the first part was all about. But it didn't really answer or even pose the kinds of questions I am interested in.

The parts I didn't' like was how veganism is supported by various teachings. Like what it says in the old testament. That stuff isn't even relevant to me. I did like how so many people from different faiths supported veganism. Mostly based on compassion. However cause god told me because the Old Testament directs us to, or its part of Jesus's or Budha's teachings does not carry water with me. There was also karma brought up. I have mixed feelings about that. Doing something to increase your good karma almost seems selfish to me. Like you are not eating animals because it increases YOUR good karma does not seem all that compassionate to me. That actually bumps into one of my questions: does truly compassionate acts have to be unselfish. they also tied veganism into things like global warming, environmentalism, and personal health. Those concerns seem to be beside the point but I guess they are important enough to bring up. And they did tie those concerns with religious and spiritual beliefs, too.

One other interesting thing is that the movie does share personal with Cowspiracy and What the Health, do we got to see some of the characters from those movies again. But for the most part the people providing testimony were new to me, interesting, and informative.

Looking forward to others watching it and letting us know what you think.

The Old Testament presents a mixed message about vegetarianism. On one hand, it talks about the Garden of Eden. On the other hand, it contains graphically detailed instructions for animal sacrifice.

Example:

Exodus 29:19-22:

"Then you shall take the other ram, and Aaron and his sons shall lay their hands on the head of the ram. "You shall slaughter the ram, and take some of its blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear and on the lobes of his sons' right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet, and sprinkle the rest of the blood around on the altar. "Then you shall take some of the blood that is on the altar and some of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it on Aaron and on his garments and on his sons and on his sons' garments with him; so he and his garments shall be consecrated, as well as his sons and his sons' garments with him."

Last edited:
The Old Testament presents a mixed message about vegetarianism. On one hand, it talks about the Garden of Eden. On the other hand, it contains graphically detailed instructions for animal sacrifice.

Example:

Exodus 29:19-22:

"Then you shall take the other ram, and Aaron and his sons shall lay their hands on the head of the ram. "You shall slaughter the ram, and take some of its blood and put it on the lobe of Aaron's right ear and on the lobes of his sons' right ears and on the thumbs of their right hands and on the big toes of their right feet, and sprinkle the rest of the blood around on the altar. "Then you shall take some of the blood that is on the altar and some of the anointing oil, and sprinkle it on Aaron and on his garments and on his sons and on his sons' garments with him; so he and his garments shall be consecrated, as well as his sons and his sons' garments with him."
Hosea 6:5-7

…5Therefore I have hewn them by the prophets; I have slain them by the words of My mouth, and My judgments go forth like lightning. 6For I desire mercy, not sacrifice, and the knowledge of God rather than burnt offerings.7But they, like Adam, have transgressed the covenant; there they were unfaithful to Me.…

My own belief is that the Bible is a progressive revelation of God that became better realized with the Prophets and culminated in Jesus Christ. Much of which was taught in the Mosaic Law was challenged by Jesus, but the prophets were always endorsed by him. Daniel was one such prophet and he considered it would defile him and his men to eat meat.

Daniel 1:8-16

8But Daniel made up his mind that he would not defile himself with the king’s food or wine. So he asked the chief official for permission not to defile himself.

9Now God had granted Daniel favor and compassion from the chief official, 10but he said to Daniel, “I fear my lord the king, who has assigned your food and drink. For why should he see your faces looking thinner than those of the other young men your age? You would endanger my head before the king!”

11Then Daniel said to the steward whom the chief official had appointed over Daniel, Hananiah, Mishael, and Azariah, 12“Please test your servants for ten days. Let us be given only vegetables to eat and water to drink. 13Then compare our appearances with those of the young men who are eating the royal food, and deal with your servants according to what you see.”

14So he consented to this and tested them for ten days. 15And at the end of ten days, they looked healthier and better nourished than all the young men who were eating the king’s food. 16So the steward continued to withhold their choice food and the wine they were to drink, and he gave them vegetables instead.