Toothpaste

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
One of the side effects of radiation to the neck and throat is damage to teeth. I got mouth trays and a prescription to a super high fluoride gel.

However, I have not been able to see a dentist because of the lockdown. And I am overdue for a checkup.

My toothpaste is almost out, too. I usually get Tom's but last time I needed some they were out so I have just been using Colgate.

I usually buy the toothpaste with the most fluoride but even that is difficult because there are at least two different ingredients that contain fluoride and they are measured in different ways. I think I want Sodium Monofluorophosphate, 0.76%. i think the ones with Stannous Fluoride, 0.454% are more for sensitive teeth.

Colgate's new vegan toothpaste hasn't hit the shelves yet. But I can buy Colgate Zero from Amazon.

While shopping around I also discovered a brand called Hello which might be a a good idea

Or I could just get some Tom's.

Any thoughts?

Hello has more fluoride than Colgate. And it is cruelty-free. Colgate says its vegan which implies cruelty free - but doesn't actually say so. Plus I can buy just one tube at a time and see if I like it. And it is a little cheaper than Tom's. And I like minty toothpaste better than Mango flavored toothpaste.

Colgate was the cheapest per oz tho.

I'll let you guys know how I liked it.

I dunno, Lou. I go to great lengths to avoid fluoride everywhere. I had fluoride treatments as a kid and I still have issues with my teeth from when I was a kid. I stopped using fluoride at least 2 decades ago and haven't had a single new problem since. I wish I had an answer for you. <3

I don't suppose you can get to Trader Joes, but I used to use their peppermint toothpaste. I looked it up on amazon (don't even think about that cause crazy overpriced!) and found the ingredients---
"Thank you for your inquiry! The label states: Active Ingredient: Sodium Monofluorophosphate .76%. Inactive Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Hydrated Silica, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Carrageenan."

It was a very fresh mint, not like the artificial sweeteners some have

I've since been buying one from Dollar Tree-Extreme Sensitive because it doesn't have SLS, but it doesn't have the level or type of flouride

Look at this--

Reactions: Lou
"I have not been able to see a dentist because of the lockdown. And I am overdue for a checkup."

This is just my opinion.

A professional's first priority is to put the best interest of his patients above his personal interests. The coronavirus should not be an issue if the dental office employs good hygiene practices in the first place. This reminds of the time when dentists refused to provide services to aids patients due to the fear of spreading the disease. My dentist was very critical of those dentists who discriminated against aids patients.

Before I retired as a teacher, I refused to call myself a professional. I also asked that other people to not refer to me as a professional. They asked why. I said, "I am in a union. That union bargains for a professional workday of 7:30 to 3:30. A professional is not concerned about the length of his workday. He or she gets the job done."

I have a working class relative who was a volunteer first responder in a rural area for several decades. The guy always took the call, no matter what. It could be 3:00 in the morning. He would take the call. The guy never got paid a dime. That farmer was a professional.

I fear that your dentist might not be a professional.

I will call my Dentist as soon as I get back home. But I'm pretty sure all Dentist offices are closed except for emergencies. I don't think is overdue for a check up and cleaning is an emergency. But I'll check

Reactions: Hog
I don't suppose you can get to Trader Joes, but I used to use their peppermint toothpaste. I looked it up on amazon (don't even think about that cause crazy overpriced!) and found the ingredients---
"Thank you for your inquiry! The label states: Active Ingredient: Sodium Monofluorophosphate .76%. Inactive Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate, Water, Glycerin, Sodium Bicarbonate, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Mentha Piperita (Peppermint) Oil, Hydrated Silica, Sodium Cocoyl Glutamate, Carrageenan."

It was a very fresh mint, not like the artificial sweeteners some have

I've since been buying one from Dollar Tree-Extreme Sensitive because it doesn't have SLS, but it doesn't have the level or type of flouride

Look at this--

That is good to know about Trader Joe's. Normally I go there all the time. I ordered one tube of Hello from Amazon. If I don't like it I'll get some of TJs. Hello is cheaper than TJ's and checks more of my boxes too.

Reactions: Hog
Now Amazon doesn't have any Hello toothpaste. They suggested some other sellers but they have marked their prices up. Same with Tom's.

• Wow
Reactions: Hog and Emma JC
Update.
I got some Hello toothpaste and it checks all my boxes.
then I saw some Tom's in the store and bought it too, just in case the stores run out of it again.

I saw this today and I like the idea of recyclable tubes.

Reactions: Emma JC
Update. I like Hello and Tom's.
Haven't tried Colgate Zero or Trader Joe's yet.

Saw an interesting ad for something entirely different.

Reactions: David3
Update. I like Hello and Tom's.
Haven't tried Colgate Zero or Trader Joe's yet.

Saw an interesting ad for something entirely different.

Very interesting! I didn't realize this was a thing, but now I see that several companies offer them on Amazon:

I haven't checked to see which ones are vegan.

My mom (~80 years old) told me that, many years ago, they used to brush their teeth with "tooth powder". It came in a tin bottle. You would mix some with a little water, and then brush.

My mom (~80 years old) told me that, many years ago, they used to brush their teeth with "tooth powder". It came in a tin bottle. You would mix some with a little water, and then brush.
I remember getting that as a kid once.
I use so little paste I know the tabs would probably be too much
I did mix up some Dr Bronners peppermint castile, baking soda and coconut oil when I first went vegan. It really was quite ok and seemed to clean better than anything! If you've ever tried oil pulling with coconut oil you might know what I mean!

I found these at the Dollar Tree, hope they're as compostable as they say, they're even stronger than the regular plastic ones!

Attachments

• 20210109_120948 (1).jpg
    20210109_120948 (1).jpg
    782 KB · Views: 4
  • Informative
I remember getting that as a kid once.
I use so little paste I know the tabs would probably be too much
I did mix up some Dr Bronners peppermint castile, baking soda and coconut oil when I first went vegan. It really was quite ok and seemed to clean better than anything! If you've ever tried oil pulling with coconut oil you might know what I mean!

I found these at the Dollar Tree, hope they're as compostable as they say, they're even stronger than the regular plastic ones!
Those look great. I feel guilty about throwing away the regular plastic ones. Thank you for posting the photo.