Article: Animal rights group Gaia (Belgium) goes undercover in Chicken Farm

Tomas

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
This, to us vegans, is definitely general knowledge but it is also another example of an industry drenched in evil that tries to keep up a façade to the world while in actuality there's only horror to be found. They lie in the consumer's face and the fact they lie means they know what they are doing is evil or there wouldn't be any reason to lie in the first place.

Gaia is not an animal rights group that is particularly vegan but does believe that animals have to be treated correctly and Gaia was actually on good terms with the company the article is about "Poule en Poulette" because the company said the chickens they sold (coming from a delivery company) have always been free range chickens that have been exposed to daylight. Gaia actually was hoping to use this company as an example to others but the reality was very different they found when going undercover as you can see.

"From farm to plate", we read on the website of "Poule & Poulette", Vandenbossche says and also, "artisanal , healthy and farm fresch Belgian chicken on your plate". Added to this text is a picture of chickens, roaming about happily ouside. Complete ******** and it's beneath all morals to deceive consumers in this way. The delivery company for "Poule & Poulette" is nothing more than an industrial chicken breeder that only by the barest minimum complies to regulations which is everything BUT adequate for the wellbeing of the chickens and customized solely for industrial purposes.

This immedeately also raises the question if any labels such as "bio" or "free range" are actually true at all. People who have been trying to do their part by eating meat (which I by no means condone at all by the way) that is at the least bio or eating dairy from free range animals (because they morally feel better if they know an animal had a "good" life) get another slap in the face from the industry they so desperately try to defend. The problem that this creates is that many will shrug it off and others will just stop buying products with this inscription alltogether seeing "it doesn't matter waht they do" just because they misinformed about the alternatives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 3018
Free Range doesn't require for the chickens to have good surroundings to live in, only minor improvement to battery farming. In factory farming there is never an opportunity to take individual animals into consideration, that's why the death rate of chicks and also chickens is so high, during production. And always, when there is an farm that seeks profit, it's undeniably an factory farm.
Free Range is better than battery farming, but still sees money more important than the wellbeing of the animals.
That's exactly why it would be important for people to become vegan, to not to accept the cruelty. Animals are treated like they'd be a part of a large machinery, not like sentien beings, even though majority of people wants animals to live good lives. Denial enables people to still believe that farm animals are taken a good care of, although these secret photos have been taken and have published in media for years by now.

The denial is strong, especially here in Finland (we still haven't banned battery farming completely, and fur farming isn't going to go anywhere at this rate...). I first saw some pictures that Kristo Muurimaa had most probably taken (he's famous world wide, because of the monster foxes that he photographed), when I was 18 years old, and I didn't know what to do. So I asked about the pictures from my biology teacher, whom I admired, and she said that "the pictures were probably from some other country, don't worry: that doesn't happen in Finland. We care for our animals." I wasn't very convinced, the site said that the pictures were from Finland... So I started my journey to become a vegan.
That's one of the most important things one can do for the animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FlandersOD and Lou