Question art

N

noah

hey guys im still quite new to the vegan thing and i want to ask you something . im aware that alot of art products arnt vegan. obviously there are vegan brands which you can use which is awesome but my question is in regards to buy ready made art that uses non vegan products. for example there is a poster that i really want and when i have looked in the details i found out that it is made using epson pigment ink. i have tried looking on the internet to figure out if that type of ink is vegan but havent really found an answer. my question is what do you guys do about buying peices of art e.g to you contact the makers to find out wether the products they use to make it are vegan or dont you worry about that stuff? i wouldnt really see anyway around it since you cant always control the products the person has made to use it but would buying it make me less vegan? would i be contributing to animal cruelt if i was to buy a picture or t-shirt that was made using non vegan ink/dyes e.g
the definition of being vegan is to exclude animal exploitation in witch is most possible and practical so im not quite sure what to do. do you guys worry about that stuff?

Everyone has their parameters of how far they go, but I would not worry about things like that - at all. I get pretty compulsive during stress, and if I don't moniter it and allow myself leeway I become depressed and obsessed!
Everything around you has in some way been influenced by animal/human exploitation. You just have to do the best you can to prevent it continuing. The more people become veg'n, aware of how bad animal products are for our health, the environment, as well as the animals the less we'll see of animal products and we can be stricter
Now, I can avoid buying things directly from animals, but i'm not going to sweat the smaller things

I haven't bought any fancy art in a long time, but I buy stuff like calendars and it never occurred to me to look into where the ink/color came from. I think it would be impossible to avoid every little speck of animal product in that regard. I used to wonder if I should even use the soap dispensers in public bathrooms when I first went vegan, but bringing my own soap everywhere became a hassle and was easy to forget, especially when traveling. And well, not using soap at all in a public bathroom and public building is risking your own health and others. So I just use the tiny bit of soap in public bathrooms when I use them. :) I will say that I have bought soy candles in place of wax ones. However, I wouldn't sweat the small stuff or you will drive yourself insane.

I don't know much about the topic, to be honest. I believe animal hairs are used on some paint brushes?

I'd say it's a good thing to know about the animal products used in art and art supplies if you're a vegan who buys a lot of art pieces or supplies. And it's a good thing to know about decent alternatives, and to promote these whenever you can.

I was wondering if @Poppy might have some thoughts on the issue?

Reactions: KLS52
Traditionally, art can be very animal UNfriendly - from brushes to sizings to varnishes - ugh! But there are so many new products that are free of animal ingredients. I'm an oil painter. I use acrylics for early coats, synthetic brushes (for the most part - I actually have a few bristle and sable brushes from before I went vegan 11 years ago, that I use from time to time - they last forever when treated well and I would never throw them out) and synthetic solvents and varnishes. Art products are always getting better! (I know nothing about inks).

Reactions: Second Summer
hey guys im still quite new to the vegan thing and i want to ask you something . im aware that alot of art products arnt vegan. obviously there are vegan brands which you can use which is awesome but my question is in regards to buy ready made art that uses non vegan products. for example there is a poster that i really want and when i have looked in the details i found out that it is made using epson pigment ink. i have tried looking on the internet to figure out if that type of ink is vegan but havent really found an answer. my question is what do you guys do about buying peices of art e.g to you contact the makers to find out wether the products they use to make it are vegan or dont you worry about that stuff? i wouldnt really see anyway around it since you cant always control the products the person has made to use it but would buying it make me less vegan? would i be contributing to animal cruelt if i was to buy a picture or t-shirt that was made using non vegan ink/dyes e.g
the definition of being vegan is to exclude animal exploitation in witch is most possible and practical so im not quite sure what to do. do you guys worry about that stuff?
Vegan and Cruelty-free Art Supplies

Vegan Art Supplies!

The Vegan’s List of Art Supplies: Art Products Free of Animal Ingredients.

Animal-Based Ingredients in My Art Supplies?

Basic Guide to Vegan Art Materials