Are Skittles vegan?

At least some were vegan last year when I was in America. I never liked them, but tried them again just for kicks. The UK ones are not vegan..I can't remember what the non-vegan ingredient is, but I think it's shellac.

My friend told me they were vegan in the UK :S I shall have to let her know otherwise eeek. She eats them a lot.

From the wriggly website:

SUGAR, GLUCOSE SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE FAT, ACIDS (E330, E296, E334, E331),MODIFIED STARCH, DEXTRIN, MALTODEXTRIN, FLAVOURINGS, COLOURS (E100,E120,E132,E133,E160E,E171), GLAZING AGENT(CARNAUBA WAX),VEGETABLE OIL, ANTIOXIDANT E300.

E120 isn't vegetarian or vegan I'm afraid :( (The website I linked is actually pretty good for looking up ingredients, not sure how reliable it is but is has almost anything I've tried to look up on there.)​

I think it's really cheeky E120 has at least four names, E120, cochineal, carmine or carminic acid. I didn't realise the last two were E120 for ages and ages.

From the wriggly website:

SUGAR, GLUCOSE SYRUP, HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE FAT, ACIDS (E330, E296, E334, E331),MODIFIED STARCH, DEXTRIN, MALTODEXTRIN, FLAVOURINGS, COLOURS (E100,E120,E132,E133,E160E,E171), GLAZING AGENT(CARNAUBA WAX),VEGETABLE OIL, ANTIOXIDANT E300.

E120 isn't vegetarian or vegan I'm afraid :( (The website I linked is actually pretty good for looking up ingredients, not sure how reliable it is but is has almost anything I've tried to look up on there.)​

I think it's really cheeky E120 has at least four names, E120, cochineal, carmine or carminic acid. I didn't realise the last two were E120 for ages and ages.

Yeah I didn't know about carmine at first, back when I first went vegan I was looking at my eyeliner ingredients to check for veganicity and saw it had carmine in it! I'd been smearing dead bugs on my eyes, ew. Couldn't use it after that.

I wish that there was a law within the EU and US where it would be compulsary to state 'Suitable for Vegans' on all food packaging.
It is far to complicated to always have a list of additives and check every single ingredient on the package. Shopping is so stressful overhere as it is !:mad:

^ I find in the UK due to allergy warnings and almost everywhere having a suitable for vegetarians sign where applicable, if you just learn insect and wool type of ingredients you can check if things are vegan with minimal uncertainty. I often double check at a later point online or via email, but it's a very successful way of determining if something is vegan or not. Also sainsburys, tescos and superdrug label things as suitable for vegan which is really handy.

(ETA: UNcertainty! Not certainty)

yes as others have said, skittles = not veggie. shame as theyre yummy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good news everyone, apparently it's both vegetarian and apparently vegan now- Aery posted this in the UK product thread:
Skittles have changed their ingredients! No more E120, completely suitable for vegetarians, and from what I can tell, suitable for vegans as well.

(I've only checked the 'original' flavour ones though. Fingers crossed that the sour ones are also ok, I used to love those!)

It seems their website still lists E120 in the ingredients. Do you still have the packaging? Maybe you could post the ingredient list, just so everyone can see for themselves.

hrlyy8.jpg