Any knitters out there?

Fyvel

Forum Senior
Reaction score
I'm pretty new to knitting but have learned a lot in the past 6 months or so. Having lots of fun making funky stuff for the kiddos. :)

I haven't done it in quite a while - and all I ever made were scarves of different sizes/weights.
What have you been making?

I've been working on my first ever sweater since December, but now that the weather has warmed up I've lost some motivation. I also made some gloves and socks as Christmas gifts. I'm just learning as I go by watching YouTube videos.

Ooog, I'm not quite up to the level where I'm ready to tackle gloves or socks or sweaters though I am sure I could manage with the help of youtube. I have been doing mostly hats: a little devil hat that was sadly too small for my tyke, then I did a pair of "cranky pants" (pants with a monster face on the bum) that are a tad big for him yet, then I did a little berry hat for my new niece, my last project was a fish hat for my other niece and I just started one for myself today. Oh and I also am doing some dish cloths as easy knits for when I don't want to bother with a pattern (I always used to get these from relatives now I can make my own yay!). I will try to post some pics or at least links to the projects in question when I am on a computer :)

I've done a little, but haven't progressed past producing strips of fabric (some of which could very generously be called scarves).

Ok I don't have pics of my actual projects (yet!) but to give an idea of what I have been doing:

A pair of crankypants much like these: http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5125/5327655455_599975fe65.jpg
This berry hat: http://randomstitches.wordpress.com/2008/01/11/hello-world/
A fish hat similar to the pink one here: http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter08/PATTfishy.php

Schmencer, when I was a kid my mom taught me how to do the basic knit stitch. She would cast on about 20 stitches and I would proceed to knit a "scarf". I would invariably end up with 40 stitches and a piece of fabric full of holes (unintentional yarn overs, most likely). If you want to learn more, there are so many great youtube videos to help with different stitches. Just start with a super simple pattern and work your way to more complex ones :)

Oh man, those cranky pants and that fishy hat! Do you make adult sizes :p

I have a friend who knits and she has made some of the best-looking mittens and gloves. She had a cat ear hat one time, too. Always in awe of people that can do this stuff!

I struggled with knitting for years. All I'd ever do is tiny little lines and things and then they'd fall apart. I once managed to make a hat with cat ears. I gave it to my ex, boy do I regret that. Anyway I then tried crochet instead and took to it like a duck to water. I can make all kinds of neat things and its 100x easier to me than knitting. every now and then i try it to make sure I remember how though , haha.

ps. I love those cranky pants.

I've always wanted to learn to knit and/or crochet! I've tried a few times, just can't get the hang of it.

I tried to teach myself how to knit a few years ago. I bought a little kit with handy instructions and everything. I couldn't even get it started. :p

Crocheting, though, I'm brilliant at! I can make you any color scarf you want! :D

I've always wanted to learn to knit and/or crochet! I've tried a few times, just can't get the hang of it.

What I found helped, is rooting through youtube until I found a video that suited me. Theres a lady called KnitWitch who posts tutorials and I found hers best.

Actually with knitting, I couldnt pick it up until someone showed me in person. The Crochet I used youtube.

I knit and crochet. I find knitting more challenging and therefore more interesting. I wish there were better non-animal-fiber yarns, but bit by bit, that situation seems to be improving.

Ravelry is a great site for yarn reviews, seeing how a particular yarn works for a project, free patterns, etc.

I too lost some of my interest in knitting when it warmed up. Will pick my project back up in the fall. I've been crocheting lately.

I never make anything more exciting than scarves, shawls, bags, knit or crocheted food, pet blanket. It can be intimidating when someone posts a project that's intricate and fabulous stating "I've only been knitting for 3 years" But I've learned to accept my skills as they are and to like what I make.

It took me several tries to finally pick up crocheting. So don't give up. I second Ravelry. Tons of free patterns (I've bought some too) and it is a great place to research yarns. I also bought some great yarn from a nice lady on there, cheap too. You can save patterns to favorites and organize them. Oh and when someone saves one of your projects to their favorites, it makes you feel so good. I can't get over it: "something I'VE made?!"

Most my close friends and family (and a few members around here) are in possession of scarves I have knitted. I made myself a nice sapphire blue afghan this past winter, and now I am working on another as a gift for my boyfriend. Whether it becomes anniversary gift or birthday gift will all depend on how motivated I am to finish it. Time is a hard thing to find, but it's a simple pattern that's easy to pick up and put down. I will have to post pics...

*raises hand*

I've been knitting for years. I recently joined Ravelry and have taught myself to knit with double pointed needles! I pretty much feel like a pro. :cthulhu:

Reactions: KLS52
I took an adult ed class 20 some years ago to learn how to crochet, never go the hang of it. My grandmother loved crocheting/knitting constantly had something going. I still have 4-5 afghans she did.