Animals have compassion for us.

Hog

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My uncle had a very protective dog when I was a little kid. My family visited him once per week every Sunday afternoon. The dog constantly licked me and snuggled up with me. However, one of the first things she did was take a pee on me when I came to visit. I think she was signalling to others that if something happened to me that there would be consequences. The dog had rules about where I could and could not go. For example, I could play on the front porch but not the front yard. I think there were too many dangerous strangers who walked by the front of the house. Still, I could also play in the back yard. However, she did not approve of me getting close to the fence. If a stranger came close to the porch, she would get really nervous and send me into the house. Then, she looked extremely vicious at the visitor on the porch. Once I was inside she calmed down.

Cows and pigs are about as emotional as dogs. I can imagine my uncle saying, "Well the dog did a good job of protecting you. But, now that you do not need protection, we are going to send him to the slaughter house and eat him for Christmas." Where is the logic to that thought?

Assume that going vegan is not good for the environment, it is not healthier, and it not less expensive. Moreover, assume that vegan is the less healthy option. What do I want my legacy after I die to be. I knew animals were suffering on farms. But, I was more concerned about using the two for one hamburger coupon at McDonald's.

I will take an early death before I support an industry that physically and psychologically abuses animals. Respecting animals must promote respecting people.

Actually, my sins are severe. I told my family whenever we ate at McDonald's, "That cow experienced a living hell so we can eat this yummy quarter pounder." I knew how the animal suffered. But, I ate anyway.

Reactions: Lou and Ger
Couldn't agree with you more.

Warning: totally irrelevant but interesting nonetheless factoid coming in for a landing.

For the longest time, many people didn't think animals were capable of compassion. The behavior animals that would demonstrate that appeared to be compassion was just instinctual behavior. Your uncle's dog was just exhibiting behavior consistent with a pack animal. Protecting a member of the pack. And it seems like you were a subordinate stupid member that didn't know better than to stay within the pack's territory.

(my family's dog that I grew up with behaved in a lot of similar ways. I bet when it first met you, you were smaller than the dog)

Nowadays it seems to be that it's accepted that animals are capable of compassion. It can be observed in all kinds of social animals. Scientists still call it instinctual - which is ok by me. And they will say it has evolutionary advantages. But at least they now agree that it exists in animals and is natural. And not a solely human characteristic.

Reactions: mavrick45