Animal manure as fertilizer

Johan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I have a fundamental question:

Vegetables grown with for instance horse manure as fertilizer can they be considered vegan?

Best regards, Johan

I have a fundamental question:

Vegetables grown with for instance horse manure as fertilizer can they be considered vegan?

Best regards, Johan
Technically the answer is "probably not"

However, since you specifically said horse manure, I would say its probably ok. Horses got to poop.

Manure has to be recycled somehow. Not good to put it in a landfill.
or flush it down the drain.

Not sure why. Just one of those things my silly brain does .I am reminded of the Great Horse Manure Crisis of 1894 .

There was also some brouhaha back in the middle ages with Horse Manure Rights. But I can't find a reference to that.

Oh. and this week is National Compost Week. I think turning manure into compost is a little problematic but its a good way to get rid of it.

I suppose the argument against it would be the profits from raising animals for food. Everything on earth is from dead things

I suppose the argument against it would be the profits from raising animals for food. Everything on earth is from dead things
Horses aren't generally raised for food. Granted we exploit horses for our pleasure but the manure is just a byproduct.

Horses aren't generally raised for food. Granted we exploit horses for our pleasure but the manure is just a byproduct.
I feel I've heard of rescues selling the manure? If I'm wrong, I think that's a great idea!

Oh boy. Ethically sourced horse $hit!
Perfect for you vegan garden. :)
Well, think about the chickens, cows--I think any plant based animal poop would be manure. If they're living the good life on a sanctuary I think selling it would be a great source of income for them!

Reactions: Lou
Using rescued animals as a source of income undercuts arguments against exploitation.

Using rescued animals as a source of income undercuts arguments against exploitation.
I considered that-- but when the profits from something that just happens is beneficial to their continued health and welfare?
I guess it's like selling eggs from rescue hens--or is it?
They're still confined to an area, what happens to all that poop? I'd imagine it needs to be composted or something, so does the compost just get recycled there?
I have the mindset that people would specifically purchase from the sanctuary as a way to both keep it running, as well as preventing a purchase they would buy elsewhere, that would be supporting harm. Certainly this wouldn't be a vegan-non vegan issue, as many omnivores support animal sanctuaries, and not be concerned simply with whether they use animal manure or not

This sanctuary does sell their manure:
and this site gives advice on how sanctuaries deal with the sh!t:

I am a practical vegan, I guess utilitarian? When animal rights become more more mainstream I'll adjust my views, but for now I see animals having a part in their keep as making the best of a bad situation.
Like not letting the perfect be the enemy of the good.
If parents have to work to keep their household together often kids need to start working at earlier ages, go without what their peers have, do more household chores than those that are more privileged. That's my take on this at least.

Reactions: Lou
The word "practical" is in the very definition of vegan. *

*Well, technically its the word "practicable". but I have never figured out the difference.

Practically, if you're buying vegetables I think you can consider them vegan regardless of how they were grown. Bees are exploited for several crops which many vegans eat. Many crops are grown using pesticides and insecticides which harm animals around those crops.

Now, the use of manure for fertilser can be problematic for health reasons, as it's a great way to spread harmful bacteria and contaminate those crops. If you have the knowledge and choice, it would probably be best to stay away from manure fertilised crops. But very few of us have that ability, and we're still vegan.

If you're growing your own food, I would say it isn't vegan to buy manure for fertiliser. That usually comes from cows or horses who were exploited, and buying their poop supports the system. Soil made from compost actually makes excellent fertiliser, and the only animals used are earth worms, who are doing what they'd normally do and I don't think are being exploited in the process.

Reactions: Lou and Sax
A different scenario, I suppose, but... I used to use my rabbits' droppings and litter on my garden (and lawn). Since I adopted the rabbits from a shelter to be my companions and I would have to dispose of their waste no matter what, I didn't see this as a problematic issue. I don't know about other situations. It's true that no domestic animals are raised and exploited for their manure (although I wouldn't put that past humans if there were some motive for them to do that). I don't see it as a problem.