An article from the new republic

I used to think that animal rights was too extreme of an idea. Now I think animal welfare is a joke and that animal rights is the only way to go. Animal welfare is pretty much "it's okay to use animals and then slaughter them as long as you are nice about it."

Good article! I like how it wasn't peppered with easily debunkable counterpoints for "balance".

I read an article yesterday about meat substitutes that mentioned growing soy is hard on the environment...without mentioning most soy is grown to feed livestock.

Reactions: Emma JC
Good article! I like how it wasn't peppered with easily debunkable counterpoints for "balance".

I read an article yesterday about meat substitutes that mentioned growing soy is hard on the environment...without mentioning most soy is grown to feed livestock.

I don't know the stats but I think most soy, especially soy grown for livestock is GMO soy, which is bathed in herbicides.

All of the soy products I buy are organic and Non-GMO.

You can make an argument about how soy requires a lot of water. but much less water goes into a quart of soymilk or a meat-less patty than it takes to make a quart of milk or a hamburger patty.

Reactions: Emma JC
In the early 2000's, I realized every generation has their 'fight' that's 'unprecedented' yet we keep moving on. Progress is progress. In the Gay Marriage era, I couldn't contemplate what came next. Once we were in it, it seemed obvious, and I really didn't expect what would follow that, but is looking more like Animal Rights is the next cause frontier.

It's shifted from Abolition -> Women's Vote -> Civil Rights -> Gay Marriage -> Currently in the Transgender Equality era with -> Animal Right being the next frontier.

It's shifted from Abolition -> Women's Vote -> Civil Rights -> Gay Marriage -> Currently in the Transgender Equality era with -> Animal Right being the next frontier.

I like your take on things but I can't help myself from observing that you have painted this with too broad a brush.

IMHO, one of the problems you might encounter is that thinking a movement culminates with an amendment or a supreme court ruling. And that the end of a movement marks the beginning of the next one. Although I think you could make a case for that if you just looked at individuals.

For instance, 150 years after the 15th amendment, we still have slavery. Not just worldwide - but right here in the USA. (1)

During the abolitionist movement, a split occurred when female abolitionists also wanted the right to vote for women. And it took another 50 years for them to get them. And its been 100 years and still no ERA. (2)

The whole 60s civil rights movement was about getting rights that were pretty much already guaranteed by laws. And any quick perusal of the headlines could lead one to believe it isn't finished yet.

And I think it is a mistake to think the Animal Rights movement is just getting started. I don't think you should even say it started in the 70s with ALF and PETA. The ASPCA goes back to the 1860s. And it other countries it goes back centuries. (3)

But if you look for parallels with the rights for women and blacks, Animal Rights are going to have a long hard road.

But on the positive side....
The animals seem to have gained some new allies. Not just silly vegans but environmentalists, progressive liberal democrats, and the labor movement.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery_in_the_21st_century
2. https://www.history.com/topics/black-history/abolitionist-movement
3. https://www.thoughtco.com/historical-timeline-of-animal-rights-movement-127594

Last edited:
I like your take on things but I can't help myself from observing that you have painted this with too broad a brush.

Thanks, but I generalized with a broad brush intentionally. I didn't even think about them culminating in the amendments, but that's a great catch. My thoughts were more leaning towards the hyper-sensationalized social justice movement of the moment. I understand they haven't, and may never be, fully resolved, but the mass-social consensus built up to push each issue past its tipping point. Sadly, we're in a nation where people have to have laws to be passed to finally get the picture. Ideally, the mass-social acceptance would overtake it, but the holdouts are what causes the laws or amendments to have to be passed in the first place.

Reactions: Sax and Lou
... My thoughts were more leaning towards the hyper-sensationalized social justice movement of the moment. I understand they haven't, and may never be, fully resolved, but the mass-social consensus built up to push each issue past its tipping point ...

OH! Good stuff. I like the idea of recognizing a "tipping point" for the "movement of the moment".

Social scientists might even be able to measure it.

From the inside looking out, the Animal rights movement seems to be on the "increasing at an increasing rate" point on the curve. Unfortunately, I think (basic) human rights have taken a few steps back recently and we may need to gain some ground there before we put more attention on animal rights. When people put people in cages what hope is there to free the animals?

On the other hand, how humane can a society be that slaughters so many animals?

Reactions: Three Chickpeas