Americans aren't too fond of evolution

I love how this thread started out being about which countries believe in God Vs Evolution, and now it is about remembering being a sperm.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
I think that it also has been forgotten that half of the sperms in the sperm race are girl sperms so there is also some womanly competition happening here, a battle of the sexes. Sperm may come from male but it doesnt mean they are necessarily male themselves : ) .

Reactions: Blobbenstein
lambuelmaze.png

I mean, you can totally relate to him. I have definitely been in this situation... except the going to church bit which only happens occasionally.

I dont get why he would want a $0 bill though, those are useless.

Actually, that's not that far off. The egg travels to the sperm as much as the sperm travels to the egg - and the egg releases receptors that draw certain sperm to it. I wouldn't go so far as to say it "chooses" the individual sperm, but it does attempt to weed out non-compatible/unhealthy sperm.

Aye. It used to be thought that women's eggs just sat around passively* waiting for the sperm to show up.

But now we know its far more complicated.

Considering the high chance of miscarrying a zygote or fetus that women have, there's probably some post-fertilization selection process going on as well. IIRC, it's about 1 in 3 pregnancies that are lost very early on - so early that most women aren't aware they were pregnant.

* Probably knitting and practicing their "feminine posture" while waiting. :p

I think that it also has been forgotten that half of the sperms in the sperm race are girl sperms so there is also some womanly competition happening here, a battle of the sexes. Sperm may come from male but it doesnt mean they are necessarily male themselves : ) .

There used to be a theory that some sperm in human beings actually stayed behind and fought a rear-guard action against possible other sperm (from a different male). But Wikipedia tells me that such a theory is considered to be outdated.

Humans do seem to have some anatomical features that suggest sperm competition (males evolving strategies against sperm from other males) is probable. Humans probably aren't (or at least weren't) as monogamous a species as we're lead to believe.

Someone once said to me that they don't believe in evolution because it sounds ridiculous, and the idea that God created everything just makes a lot more sense.