UK Amazon marketplace selling pro-rape t-shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that there is no gender inequity in protesting "Keep Calm and Rape" t-shirts, since men and boys can also be raped. In order to turn this into a gender issue you would have to ignore this, which everyone who wants to argue seems to be doing. Those t-shirts didn't say "Keep Calm and Only Rape Women". So I think it's fair to say that it is sexist to assume rape only applies to women, and that people who protest those shirts are only protesting raping women.

Well, according to cultural stereotypes, women are weak, men are not. Hence the rape t-shirt is assumed to have women as their victim. The "throw rocks at them", since it specifically targets the "stronger" gender is easier to dismiss for some, since it plays into their preconceived gender notions that men are strong. While the other t-shirt someone linked to, the "keep calm and hit her" is not trivialized, since it plays into the preconceived gender notion that women are weak, hence making fun of that t-shirt is seen as picking on the weak.

Now obviously if one thinks about it, one shouldn't assume that one gender is weak and the other is strong, since that bias tends to have all sorts of unfortunately implications.

But it seems that some in this thread have the mentality that when gender-specific violence is advocated, we need to check *what* gender is the target before we disprove of it. They've bought into the cultural stereotype of the weak and the strong genders, and are too blind to notice it.

But it seems that some in this thread have the mentality that when gender-specific violence is advocated, we need to check *what* gender is the target before we disprove of it. They've bought into the cultural stereotype of the weak and the strong genders, and are too blind to notice it.

Well, don't be coy - name names.

Well, don't be coy - name names.

Why not let the other posters judge for themselves?

All I'm doing is pointing out that as soon as one start buying into gender stereotypes, that person is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

If you want to smash gender stereotypes, start by questioning gender-specific assumptions. Obviously, this is not always the case (for the most part, excluding trans-people, certain biological organs tend to correlate with certain genders), but for the most part, when an anonymous person is referred to based on gender ("hit her", or "throw rocks at [him]"), there's a problem. (This neglects the English language problem of not traditionally having a gender-neutral term to refer to an individual, but in common usage, a singular "they" and "them" is taking shape.)

Why not let the other posters judge for themselves?

All I'm doing is pointing out that as soon as one start buying into gender stereotypes, that person is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Because I don't think anyone has made the assumptions that you're referring to, so it would be helpful if you pointed to specific posts/statements.

Because I don't think anyone has made the assumptions that you're referring to, so it would be helpful if you pointed to specific posts/statements.

We'll let the other posters decide then.

Maybe I'm in error. I'd rather be wrong, to be honest. :)

Perhaps it is me he is talking about :sadnod: . I think he is right, perhaps I had better check my privilege.

I have personally never had anyone throw stones at me as an adult, though I do remember in the playground as a child, a boy throwing a stone at me. He got into trouble with the teacher, but again it could easily be a girl who threw a stone at me, it is wrong to assume that the boy threw the stone because of his gender.

Anyway it seems that I am one of the lucky ones, and my only desire now is to give generously to charity. Some work has been done in the community here to close off access to quarries so nobody can illegally access gravel. But I think only a zero tolerance approach will work.

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Perhaps it is me he is talking about :sadnod: . I think he is right, perhaps I had better check my privilege.

I have personally never had anyone throw stones at me as an adult, though I do remember in the playground as a child, a boy throwing a stone at me.

I've had a child throw coat hangers at me.

The best part was who I assumed were the child's parents or legal guardians - they just looked at me, looked at the child, and looked away. Kind of like they were shrugging and saying "we didn't see that".

*sigh*

I have personally never had anyone throw stones at me as an adult, though I do remember in the playground as a child, a boy throwing a stone at me. He got into trouble with the teacher, but again it could easily be a girl who threw a stone at me, it is wrong to assume that the boy threw the stone because of his gender.

Anyway it seems that I am one of the lucky ones, and my only desire now is to give generously to charity. Some work has been done in the community here to close off access to quarries so nobody can illegally access gravel. But I think only a zero tolerance approach will work.

I suspect that event was more traumatic than you have permitted yourself to realize. :(

When I was five, a boy threw stones ...errrr... gravel at me. He was my cousin, and even though he was only three, he was considerably larger and stronger than I. :( He had just gotten a new wagon and had filled it with stones ...errrr... gravel, and followed me around, throwing stones ...errrr... gravel at me, until the man who was to become my stepfather suggested we take a walk up a nearby hill. Pulling his heavily laden wagon, Christian fell further and further behind. It is suspected within the family that he was eaten by wolves that night.

The entire experience left me conflicted for life. Men=evil? Men=saviours? I fear I will never resolve this internal conflict.

Reactions: Freesia
The entire experience left me conflicted for life. Men=evil? Men=saviours? I fear I will never resolve this internal conflict.

Hint: If you start to morally judge people based on gender, you've already made a huge mistake.

(I'm sorry, did I ruin your "humor"?)

I think we all know how the thread was derailed.

Well, I'd say it was probablvy due to someone posting a gender-specific insulting t-shirt, and me giving an example of a gender-specific insulting book title.

At that point, it went off the rails.

Oh well, I suppose it doesn't matter, since the gendre-specific insulting t-shirt was yanked from UK Amazon, as well as the original t-shirt the OP linked to.

I think we all know how the thread was derailed.

By freesia and her rocks. :D

:) Well I didnt exactly derail the thread, when rock crime was the topic of discussion. Merchandising is a very powerful thing, and for that reason, stone throwing shouldnt be condoned on a t-shirt, or a mug.

How about we stop condoning legitimizing or minimizing the impact of violence due to gender of the person?

Is that really such a radical idea? Does advocation of violence deserve to be mocked if a person of a specific gender is involved?

I suspect that event was more traumatic than you have permitted yourself to realize. :(

When I was five, a boy threw stones ...errrr... gravel at me. He was my cousin, and even though he was only three, he was considerably larger and stronger than I. :( He had just gotten a new wagon and had filled it with stones ...errrr... gravel, and followed me around, throwing stones ...errrr... gravel at me, until the man who was to become my stepfather suggested we take a walk up a nearby hill. Pulling his heavily laden wagon, Christian fell further and further behind. It is suspected within the family that he was eaten by wolves that night.

That indeed does sound traumatic. Childhoods in the days before today's iphones and playstations were indeed sinister things, with people in scary looking wooden go-carts and tugging ominous red wagons behind them.

I am really glad though that I was not terrorised by somebody with a wagon full of gravel, rocks, or whatever the politically correct call it these days. That does sound like a very difficult experience. :hug:

Reactions: thefadedone
How about we stop condoning legitimizing or minimizing the impact of violence due to gender of the person?

And again I ask - who in this thread has done that?

Hint: If you start to morally judge people based on gender, you've already made a huge mistake.

(I'm sorry, did I ruin your "humor"?)

I find this to be a very sad post in ways that I can't even begin to describe.

Oh for ****'s sake I just knew something like this would happen.

**** it, can a mod please close this thread? It was purely here to raise awareness of the t-shirts and to give people an option to complain.

It was not made as a platform for das_nut and I'm tired of him derailing every single thread purely so he can get mlp and Pickle Juice to argue with him so he can then run along to Tame and cry about how mean they are.

Thread closed at the OP's request ... (Feel free to continue the discussion by starting a new thread if you found this interesting.)

Status
Not open for further replies.