UK Amazon marketplace selling pro-rape t-shirts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muggle

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Warning, possibly triggering: http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb...p+calm+and+rape&rh=iAapsCkAkeep+calm+and+rape

Wanted to get this out there before I go to sleep.

If you want to complain probably the best place is http://www.facebook.com/AmazonUK?filter=2

For people in the UK, if you want to ring up amazon and complain (I will be tomorrow) their customer service phone line is open from 6am to midnight 7 days a week and the freephone number is 0800 496 1081 (the number is next to impossible to find on the website. )

How is the procedure of getting your products on Amazon anyway?

I think they are already removing them. As I click on each to vote up the bad reviews the links are leading to error pages.

They ought at least to add a report button for offensive merchandise, if they don't have what it takes to police this kind of stuff before they make it available.

They ought at least to add a report button for offensive merchandise, if they don't have what it takes to police this kind of stuff before they make it available.

I agree. itd be impossible for every single item on Amazon to be approved, and even if they did a sweep on anything with certain words in the title thatd be hard - as Im sure there are 1000s of legitimate novels/non-fiction about rape etc. A report button though would be brill.

Also I hear that the shop seller claims the words were generated by a random program who makes the slogans. Yes of course that sounds very plausible!

Reactions: Pickle Juice
UK still has "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them". But that's been out for years, and despite a few complaints, nobody has yanked it.

I'm not making an argument that that one should still be around, but if you're trying to make a point about an inequity of outrage, I'd say the two things are not equal, in much the same way as a t-shirt that says "First, let's kill all the lawyers" is not the same as one that says "First, let's kill all the prostitutes."

I'm not making an argument that that one should still be around, but if you're trying to make a point about an inequity of outrage, I'd say the two things are not equal, in much the same way as a t-shirt that says "First, let's kill all the lawyers" is not the same as one that says "First, let's kill all the prostitutes."

Lets not derail the thread, okay? :) Make another thread if you want to discuss this.

All I was doing was pointing out what appears to be an advocation of doing something bad to a person based on gender/race/religion/etc.

That's gone as well.

UK still has "Boys are stupid, throw rocks at them". But that's been out for years, and despite a few complaints, nobody has yanked it.

So is the "Keep Calm" some sort of UK thing? I find a lot of "Keep calm and _______" stuff on Amazon.
That looks like a facetious work of fiction, not a demand for violence against boys. Did you notice "Girls are Weirdos" by the same author, recommended to people who bought "Boys are Stupid"? Looks like equal treatment of both genders to me.

Don't forget men and boys can be raped too.

Reactions: thefadedone
That looks like a facetious work of fiction, not a demand for violence against boys. Did you notice "Girls are Weirdos" by the same author, recommended to people who bought "Boys are Stupid"? Looks like equal treatment of both genders to me.

"Girls are Weirdos, but They Smell Pretty".
"Boys are Stupid, Throw Rocks at Them".

I think Das_nut has a point. I gave money to the Boys And Men Who Have Stones Thrown at Them Fund last year, it is just a sad indictment when 20% of males get stones thrown at them at least once per week.
I think we need to work for equality here, until society changes its attitude, it will continue to be unsafe for boys and men to walk the street without dodging stones.

*shrugs*

I think it would be a stellar idea if the idea of grouping people together by gender, race, religion, etc and joking about violence against them would be considered abhorrent.

I think Das_nut has a point. I gave money to the Boys And Men Who Have Stones Thrown at Them Fund last year, it is just a sad indictment when 20% of males get stones thrown at them at least once per week.
I think we need to work for equality here, until society changes its attitude, it will continue to be unsafe for boys and men to walk the street without dodging stones.
My point is that there is no gender inequity in protesting "Keep Calm and Rape" t-shirts, since men and boys can also be raped. In order to turn this into a gender issue you would have to ignore this, which everyone who wants to argue seems to be doing. Those t-shirts didn't say "Keep Calm and Only Rape Women". So I think it's fair to say that it is sexist to assume rape only applies to women, and that people who protest those shirts are only protesting raping women.

And my point is that rape (of all kinds) is a tragically common occurrence, whereas stones being thrown at boys for being boys is not. That's why one is offensive and the other is obviously tongue in cheek.

Well I'm not advocating the idea that boys have stones thrown at them. I just think that if das_nut wants to turn advocacy against rape into a gender-biased issue in favor of women, he needs to find better examples.

Well I'm not advocating the idea that boys have stones thrown at them. I just think that if das_nut wants to turn advocacy against rape into a gender-biased issue in favor of women, he needs to find better examples.

Oh, I didn't think you were advocating it. I'm not either, btw. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.