Am i vegan?

Am I A Vegan?

• Total voters
To me this is cut and dry. A vegan is someone who avoids eating all animal products. There's no doubt that your lifestyle eliminates a lot of harm, but that isn't the question. A 30 year Vegan will always have 25 years on the 5 year vegan. Even if they started eating animal products regularly they might claim to be "more vegan over all" if Veganism was some sort of scale. But since it's not, if the 30 year vegan starts eating animals in year 31, then out of the two only the 5 year vegan can make the claim truthfully.

You're a vegetarian with very few things to give up to be Vegan. Get rid of those weekly Gelatin candies, find bread and pastas that are egg/milk free (I've found many wholegrain ones are), refuse ice cream and other stuff when it's offered, and send the cheese pizzas back.*

* I have always disliked cheese even when I was a practicing omnivore and I have never had issue getting pizzas without cheese. One just has to be explicit when ordering: "no cheese whatsoever".
True story - I'm a member of the Vegan Costco Fb group and lots of people get the veggie pizza for the outside snack bar, sans cheese. Some people have actually had them refuse to make it without cheese - saying it's tto much work or something. Crazy!

True story - I'm a member of the Vegan Costco Fb group and lots of people get the veggie pizza for the outside snack bar, sans cheese. Some people have actually had them refuse to make it without cheese - saying it's tto much work or something. Crazy!

This is so brazen that if it were me, and unless they are new and transitioning, I would completely avoid these people. They are more dangerous than an honest vegetarian or honest omnivore or anyone else who is honest about their habits.

This is so brazen that if it were me, and unless they are new and transitioning, I would completely avoid these people. They are more dangerous than an honest vegetarian or honest omnivore or anyone else who is honest about their habits.
Avoid who? The Costco food bar? There are probably a bunch of health reasons to do that, but if someone working anywhere refused to leave off the cheese from something i wanted to order, I'd march into the store and file a complaint or be calling corporate or something. I do not believe any food establishment employee has the right to do that unless the cheese is already in the product. I mean people have allergies to stuff and that kind of denial for something so easy to do would **** me off.
The only reason I would even order that pizza would be if my teenage kid were with me cuz it's a huge pizza for only $10 and the whole thing would be for him and he *is* allergic to dairy. I'm not one to take no for an answer very often, and I'm not avoiding my kid, so I'm obviously confused as to who you're suggesting I avoid... ?

Avoid who? The Costco food bar? There are probably a bunch of health reasons to do that, but if someone working anywhere refused to leave off the cheese from something i wanted to order, I'd march into the store and file a complaint or be calling corporate or something. I do not believe any food establishment employee has the right to do that unless the cheese is already in the product. I mean people have allergies to stuff and that kind of denial for something so easy to do would **** me off.
The only reason I would even order that pizza would be if my teenage kid were with me cuz it's a huge pizza for only $10 and the whole thing would be for him and he *is* allergic to dairy. I'm not one to take no for an answer very often, and I'm not avoiding my kid, so I'm obviously confused as to who you're suggesting I avoid... ?

My misunderstanding. I was under the impression this was some sort of Vegan group meetup/get together type thing from facebook, and some of the members were ordering cheese on their pizza. That would be brazen and telling if they weren’t completely new and I would be avoiding them in that case.

@Nekodaiden - I knew there was some kind of disconnect... The vegan Costco FB group is just a space where people share all things vegan that can be found at Costco. That's how I heard about the pizza - that if you order their large whole veggie pizza (only $10 at the food court outside) without the cheese it's vegan. Lots of people started doing that, but a random few would report that when they asked for 'no cheese,' the person at the counter refused to do it for them - which is really stupid because they are not pre-made, so the cheese is technically an addition and easy to leave off. Obviously this only applies to people in the USA who live near and shop at Costco. :)

I consider myself a vegan. I had to have antibiotics recently, they were probably tested on animals, but medication is a very difficult one at the moment. We are the vanguard of a movement. There are lots of areas where we have no choice, but if we keep going then one day animal testing will stop and eating and exploiting animals will be a thing of the past. We have to live in the world as it is now, but we can change the future if we just keep on.

Reactions: Lou