West Aldi to open 45 stores in Southern California

I am hoping the meatless meatballs are as good as trader joes! I would hope they turn their attention to getting rid of stuff in other products that keep them from being vegan. Like lard in the pie crust. D3 in cereals.
they have had success with bean burgers- those chipotle bean burgers have been a regular in our stores since they first came out! Now they have a new a name - I guess

Reactions: KLS52
I just had their chik patties and chik fingers. I think they're very good.

I have a package of the meatballs, but haven't tried them yet.

All you guys are quite lucky!

Here in Germany, Aldi's home base, we are left with the "vegan box" containing a fixed assortment of tofu, smoked tofu, cold cut, burger, sausage and "Schnitzel". So most of the time I come to Aldi, only the less interesting parts (Tofu, Schnitzel) are left over and the more attractive ones (cold cuts, burger) are already gone.

Here in Germany, Aldi's home base, we are left with the "vegan box" containing a fixed assortment of tofu, smoked tofu, cold cut, burger, sausage and "Schnitzel". So most of the time I come to Aldi, only the less interesting parts (Tofu, Schnitzel) are left over and the more attractive ones (cold cuts, burger) are already gone.
The Aldis which I have visited have never had tofu, cold cuts, Schnitzel or sausage.

It sounds as though the German Aldis carry more vegan products, but you probably find it lacking in comparison to other stores over there. Here, Aldi fares better in comparison to other stores, because stores in general (other than specialty shops like Whole Foods) carry few products specially geared to vegans.

No. We got excited over a bunch of weekly specials that will be gone before the week is over. The vegan specials actually only lasted a day at mine! I went back today thinking maybe they would have more (still the same week) they had nothing left but burgers- and those were going fast! Actually my store has had a selection of vegan burgers for a while.
I do hope they bring most of what was advertised, sounds like they were popular everywhere!

Ah, that makes sense now.
Yes, Aldi are regularly bringing "special items" that are available for a week or two (or longer, if they don't get sold).
So whether Aldi Marketing hyped it or happy vegans hyped it, we likely won't know.
However, if demand was big, they might hopefully decide to add some pieces to their normal range ...

Yeah, the vegan items went really fast that s time, probably because they were featured so prominently in the flyer.

Our store sold out of things like the vegan cheese and meatless balls and hot dogs the first day. Same thing when they had kale burgers a while back.

I would hope more focus would be put on changing ingredients of other foods like the D3 in cereal, lard in pie crust, whatever in margarine

Hi everyone. I’ve done some research and there’s an Aldi in Thousand Oaks, about 9 miles from where I live now. I was considering making a hair appointment at the Ulta Beauty located in the same shopping center, and thought I’d visit the Aldi after the appointment, but then I realized that the appointment is supposed to last roughly 3 hours, according to the Ulta app, and by the time I’d be done I wouldn’t have the time or patience to explore an Aldi for the first time, so I was thinking I’d make a special visit for that. So what’s cooking with Aldi lately? I created this thread six years ago and I’m sure things are a bit different now, with new products available.

Reactions: KLS52
Oh, nice, Amy! I love Aldi for wicked cheap canned goods (49 cents a can for chickpeas, kidney beans and black beans) and some other staples, like peanut butter and jelly. A lot of their vegan products are great, too. I love their chik'n patties and tenders, the mozzarella and ice cream. I also get their veggie burgers on occasion. They have a variety, and I'm partial to the flame-broiled soy ones. They do mix in some vegetarian ones (like ones that come with cheese and whatnot), so I have to be careful when I'm checking them out in the freezer. I occasionally get snacks there, too. Their Clancy brand is pretty cheap. I used to be able to get a pound bag of mini pretzels for under $1, but I think they are up to $1.49 or so. Still much cheaper than the grocery store. Produce can be hit and miss. I've lucked out with fresh pineapple, bananas, blueberries, and apples, but I don't buy many green leafy veggies there. I will get iceberg lettuce, which is around $1.30. The bagged baby spinach is OK. It can be bland sometimes. It's summer, so the farm stands are opening up now.

Reactions: Amy SF
Oh, nice, Amy! I love Aldi for wicked cheap canned goods (49 cents a can for chickpeas, kidney beans and black beans) and some other staples, like peanut butter and jelly. A lot of their vegan products are great, too. I love their chik'n patties and tenders, the mozzarella and ice cream. I also get their veggie burgers on occasion. They have a variety, and I'm partial to the flame-broiled soy ones. They do mix in some vegetarian ones (like ones that come with cheese and whatnot), so I have to be careful when I'm checking them out in the freezer. I occasionally get snacks there, too. Their Clancy brand is pretty cheap. I used to be able to get a pound bag of mini pretzels for under $1, but I think they are up to $1.49 or so. Still much cheaper than the grocery store. Produce can be hit and miss. I've lucked out with fresh pineapple, bananas, blueberries, and apples, but I don't buy many green leafy veggies there. I will get iceberg lettuce, which is around $1.30. The bagged baby spinach is OK. It can be bland sometimes. It's summer, so the farm stands are opening up now.
The organic spinach in the plastic tub as well as baby spinach and arugula are very good. I'll get the bag if I'm going to use it all right off
The large pound tub of organic spring greens is my favortie of that kind--no frizee stuff, but why it's just $4 while the small ones that are like 5 oz are $3? I hate that!

Their frozen veggies are good, and I recently started buying the frozen organica

They always have medjool dates a pound for like $5

They have chia, flaxseeds, quinoa at goodprices. And nuts--raw organic cashews are $8 for 14 oz (not sure about availablity)

• Informative
Reactions: Amy SF and PTree15
The organic spinach in the plastic tub as well as baby spinach and arugula are very good. I'll get the bag if I'm going to use it all right off
The large pound tub of organic spring greens is my favortie of that kind--no frizee stuff, but why it's just $4 while the small ones that are like 5 oz are $3? I hate that!

Their frozen veggies are good, and I recently started buying the frozen organica

They always have medjool dates a pound for like $5

They have chia, flaxseeds, quinoa at goodprices. And nuts--raw organic cashews are $8 for 14 oz (not sure about availablity)
Oh, yes, the nuts are available at great prices. I forgot about them.

Reactions: Amy SF