Airplane food

Alexia

Forum Senior
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I always order my special meal when I book and double check when I check my bags in that the meals are ordered. A few times it has been forgotten, but I've had some okay meals, basically rice and some roasted vegetable and lots of fruit, but I've had some awful ones like a curry, so I state an allergy to curry now on the form.

The good thing is you get your meal first which is good and depending on the airline there are choices of Asian or European meals too.

This is definitely one of the more frustrating things about being a vegan. It can be really frustrating! I find that most airline will accommodate, but the best are the international airlines that serve traditionally vegetarian customers.

Although, I do have to say I always bring a snack just in case--some nuts, an apple and a scoop of peanut butter will do wonders for travel munchies.

Honestly, I have given up on having reliable options when traveling. The best strategy is to carry my own supplies - Luna Bars and Odwalla drinks are my favorites. Although, liquids cannot be taken on the plane, the bars can. Also, dried fruit and nut mixes are wonderful.

Do all airlines have Vegan options?
your best option is not to say you are vegan, but to say you are allergic to dairy (as I actually am) and explain to them that it is not an intolerance, upset stomach, it is actually an allergy as in anaphylactic shock, can't breath, will die on you allergy. That and you are vegetarian and you will be surprised at how quickly they help.

My best meal was from an Italian airline. That was divine. I have the most fantastic salad (as did my friend) severed with fresh bread and the most amazing vinaigrette sauce. The passengers around us were rather jealous!
Sadly the British attempt (admittedly many years ago) was pathetic and I was left eating dry bread because they had not even checked that the margarine was dairy free (and I am seriously allergic to dairy as in allergic, not intolerant). They were not even able to locate me any oil for the bread which we had confirmed was dairy free.

I've had a few vegan meals and they were very basic; rice and some roasted vegetables and fruit and salad. It was okay, but not very exciting. It can be hit or miss, even with airlines as it depends where you are taking off from. An Asian destination usually has curry or something spicy which I can't eat, so I pack some peanut butter sandwiches or hummus ones as a back up.

Vegetarian meals can be a little more creative and some airlines have tortellini or a selection of pasta dishes which can be tastier. Virgin tend to be good and British Airways. Most US airlines have been disappointing.

your best option is not to say you are vegan, but to say you are allergic to dairy (as I actually am) and explain to them that it is not an intolerance, upset stomach, it is actually an allergy as in anaphylactic shock, can't breath, will die on you allergy. That and you are vegetarian and you will be surprised at how quickly they help.

My best meal was from an Italian airline. That was divine. I have the most fantastic salad (as did my friend) severed with fresh bread and the most amazing vinaigrette sauce. The passengers around us were rather jealous!
Sadly the British attempt (admittedly many years ago) was pathetic and I was left eating dry bread because they had not even checked that the margarine was dairy free (and I am seriously allergic to dairy as in allergic, not intolerant). They were not even able to locate me any oil for the bread which we had confirmed was dairy free.
Oh my God, that sounds like absolutely awful treatment.
Surely you're not the first Vegan person they've had to accommodate, one would think.

I really look forward to a day where dietary difference is an even bigger 'default circumstance' than it is today.

(Italians do it better though. Says me, an Italian.)

Emirate Airlines have a comprehensive number of options to satisfy dietary needs.
upload_2017-1-11_14-49-5.png

We flew over from the UK to Australia via Qantas last year and the vegan meal option was fantastic. I want given a choice but my word it was good on all 3 legs on the journey (UK-Dubai, Dubai-Sydney, Sydney-Destination).

Reactions: UK Chap in Q8
Honestly it can really be frustrating sometimes. Making those arrangements while booking is important but sometimes you just might end up being disappointed so always make own arrangements as well.