Agave instead on Honey

Cyprus

Newcomer
Reaction score
I have watched several healthy cooking shows on TV where agave is used in place of honey since honey has plenty of counterfeit unless you are taking it directly from a bee-keeper. I have not tried it yet but I am planning to do so soon. Those who has used it and what's your take on it?

Agave is highly processed so that you can use it in your food. If that does not worry you much then I think you can go for it. But be wary though if you are watching your calorie intake because agave has a higher calorie content compared to the usual refined sugar. Given the chance, I would rather use honey because of its antioxidant benefits.

Agave has a higher calorie content, and I prefer the taste of honey. I think honey is healthier, as well.

I purchased organic agave nectar before because the store I was at was out of honey and I needed some for a recipe I was making that day. It was fine as far as taste goes, but I agree with the above posters as far as nutritional benefits go. If I had the choice between the two I would probably choose honey, but the taste and texture of the agave is very similar to honey.

Couldn't agree with you more and, in addition, remember that agave is the base for alcoholic drinks such as tequila, so if it were as good as honey, we all will be drunk to take full "advantage" of it, LOL

But certainly honey has been renowned as provide people with health benefits and tastes way too much better.

Agave is neither natural or healthy.. in fact, it's worse for you than high fructose corn syrup. Sugar is sugar is sugar, but this one is off my list.