Add-on & style shopping

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some add-ons I'm considering purchasing for VV:

A chat-room add-on. Since a lot of the posts here are in chat threads, why not get proper chat rooms? (EUR 29.99)

A nicer style ($35)

Allow users to ignore content (threads and forums). ($15)

Who's visited recently? ($35, but this includes all the add-ons created by this developer, it's a huge list ...)

We have approx. $70 to spend. Please post here if you have any thoughts or strong feelings about this!

I definitely like the ignore option.

The only other one I would find myself interested in would be the chat one, although I don’t really understand how it works. :)

We had a chat room before. (Or was that the *other* board?) In any case, it couldn’t really sustain itself for a long period of time and it was abandoned. There’s nothing wrong with having a simple chat thread. Please bear in mind that not everyone will post in it at the same time, and that’s okay; we’re all out living our lives, or sleeping. For a chat room to really work, you’d have to have quite a few people using it at once, otherwise it’s just two people talking to each other, and they can use the private messaging feature for that.

As for the others, I can’t really say whether they’re a good idea or not. I don’t like the design of the new board, but that’s because I’d gotten used to the old one. Ignoring content seems okay for those who would use it, but I don’t think I would. If I want to ignore content, I just ignore it. And there *are* the spoiler tags; we can save some money by encouraging people to use them more often. Same thing with the Members Recently Online; it might be useful for others, but I doubt I’d use it much.

The only other one I would find myself interested in would be the chat one, although I don’t really understand how it works. :)
Neither do I! But it has received good reviews and seems to be quite sophisticated. Still, I have a few concerns about it ...
We had a chat room before. (Or was that the *other* board?) In any case, it couldn’t really sustain itself for a long period of time and it was abandoned. There’s nothing wrong with having a simple chat thread. Please bear in mind that not everyone will post in it at the same time, and that’s okay; we’re all out living our lives, or sleeping. For a chat room to really work, you’d have to have quite a few people using it at once, otherwise it’s just two people talking to each other, and they can use the private messaging feature for that.
I think I vaguely remember that. Yes, that was probably that other board. I think the issue was that a lot of members felt a bit intimidated by the "live" nature of the conversation, and maybe was afraid to end up being the only chatter there, chatting to themselves. You may be right that chat rooms would require more members for it to work properly.