Accessible resources?

cdrodgers90

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to convert to a much more plant forward diet for both health and ethical reasons. I am having difficulty because I live in a food desert and many of the ingredients in recipes are not available at the only grocery store within hours (Wal Mart :/). Does anyone have resources for recipes that are accessible at just about every grocery store, or an online resource to get these less available ingredients at an affordable price online?

Thanks,

Chris

I have had people complain about food desserts before. I may not be able to relate that well cause I seem to be living in a food oasis.

However, I don't think you need that many special foods.
the only special "vegan foods" I consume is plant milk and tofu. I am under the impression that you can find plant milk and tofu everywhere but if not you can always make them yourself.
Mostly what you need is grains, nuts, seeds, vegetables, fruit and legumes. All of those things should be available at the local grocery store.
the only weird thing you might have trouble finding is some of the seeds (hemp, flax, chia) but they don't need to be refrigerated and can be shipped to you.
Fresh fruit and veggies can be an issue. but you can probably find most of what you need in cans or frozen.
In some places, like inner cities, cost becomes an issue. you should be able to keep your costs down by planning a shopping trip to a different area.

PETA has some suggestions

Reactions: Emma JC
Dried beans an whole grains have a long shelf life. Nuts and seeds freeze very well.
I would suggest looking into seitan making--both with vital wheat gluten and regular flour. I buy this -
There NON fortified nutritional yeast is my favorite!
Get some B12 there while you're at it!

These are the BEST in terms of texture and taste, and super easy to prepare (really just like cooked chicken is used)
They're not TVP, but a whole food-

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to convert to a much more plant forward diet for both health and ethical reasons. I am having difficulty because I live in a food desert and many of the ingredients in recipes are not available at the only grocery store within hours (Wal Mart :/). Does anyone have resources for recipes that are accessible at just about every grocery store, or an online resource to get these less available ingredients at an affordable price online?

Thanks,

Chris

Which ingredients are we talking about?

Reactions: Lou
Wait, do you live in Gorham, Maine?

I just clicked on it and Hannaford Supermarket can't be too far away. and they have all the basics.

Reactions: Emma JC