A house divided

I have friends who are pro life, but they are really pro life, as in caring for children after they are born, and they put their money and their time into helping those less fortunate than they are. I can and do respect that.

So, I think that, for me, it's the entire package, rather than individual issues taken separately, that matters. Is the person someone who lives life with integrity and compassion? That's what matters, ultimately.]

For me, I can be friends with someone who doesn't like abortion and wouldn't choose it themselves BUT doesn't want to take away that choice for other women. Although that means they are by definition pro-choice, a lot of them would call themselves pro-life and would argue against abortion in a debate. I really couldn't respect someone who wanted to force women to bear unwanted babies, no matter how much time they put into charitable work.

Reactions: KLS52
If my grandfather knew my political and social views he would probably disown me. If he knew I was gay he'd probably set me on fire with the sheer force of his mental breakdown from the fact that his genes had something to do with it.

Wow, that's true. His genes did have something to do with it. Ha. That's actually kind-of an amusing thought. Excuse me while I go laugh that out. :rofl:

Reactions: PTree15
Politics doesn't get discussed in my family. In fact, I don't really know anything about my family's political views and I have no desire to find out.

Actually, I don't really know much about my friends' views either. Like others here LGBT issues and women's rights are very important to me. But I'm pretty sure that most of my friends are pro-gay marriage (well, I know that for a fact considering that about 80% of my friends are gay or bi, and I'm bi myself and I'm not in the closet so if people have issues with gay/bi people they can decide not to have much to do with me) and I'm sure most of them are pro-choice.

I do have an idiotic ex-friend who was against gay-marriage. Not that he had anything against gay people but it was because gay marriage would be forcing Christians to change their religious views as marriage is a Christian institution. Even civil marriages that don't have any religious element is unacceptable to him because marriage belongs to Christians.
Oh, and he's an atheist. And he wants to get married in a church because, and I quote, "it's traditional". *head explodes*

I carried on being civil to him considering that he was one of my friends' boyfriend, but I now have nothing to do with her (actually because of something completely different but she did end up just parroting his views on everything and stopped having her own opinions ) so I have nothing to do with him.