A Coin on the Pavement-Do You Pick It Up?

I also check in and around vending machines. You'd be surprised at how many people either forget or can't be bothered with collecting the change from their purchase.

I did that a lot at the hospital where I worked a couple of years ago. One day I found eight quarters in the coin return of the newspaper machine, plus 15 cents in the coin return of the snack machine. Score! :dance:

When you request Amazon (or another retailer), the voucher prints out with a promotional code that you enter at the time of checkout, and the amount is deducted from your total. So I don't see a problem with the Smiles program.

If you decide to use a Coinstar machine, you can select a retailer that gives you the full value without charging fee. If you get confused, you can always ask a store employee for help. :p

I put off using those machines for years because everyone said they charged a fee just for counting your coins, but once I realized that there were other options, it was full steam ahead. :p
I had no idea there were other options. I haven't used those machines ever because of the fees. To answer the original question...sometimes I do, but other times I leave it for the next person, who may or may not need it more than I. If it's a penny, it also depends on whether it's facing up heads or tails. My folks always told me it was bad luck to pick up a penny that was showing tails. :D So I usually leave those, haha.

Often, I do. I consider certain dates important to me, and if the coin has one of those dates, I keep it (but I'll probably start washing such coins well from now on... eeewwwwwww....)

There is bacteria every where....I am never too concerned because hey I am vegan I never get sick :) :) :) Use caution and don't stress is always my motto.

Reactions: shyvas
Often, I do. I consider certain dates important to me, and if the coin has one of those dates, I keep it (but I'll probably start washing such coins well from now on... eeewwwwwww....)

I'm just curious how you--or anyone--would wash the coins.

I have one of those electric jewelry cleaner gizmoes that vibrates. You put some liquid soap on whatever you want washed, fill the machine's basin with warm water, put the object in the basin, set the timer and turn it on. It vibrates for three minutes.

I've never used it on coins, though.

I'm just curious how you--or anyone--would wash the coins.

I have one of those electric jewelry cleaner gizmoes that vibrates. You put some liquid soap on whatever you want washed, fill the machine's basin with warm water, put the object in the basin, set the timer and turn it on. It vibrates for three minutes.

I've never used it on coins, though.
A jewelry cleaner would be perfect, I think, but I don't have one. So I just wash the coin in my hands with hand soap and let it dry. I've done that before, but not consistently.

I went shopping at Whole Foods the other day. As I got out of my car, I saw a dime on the ground next to my parking space. I picked it up, put it in my pocket, and went inside to shop. Forgot to clean my hands. Got back to my car, remembered the dime in my pocket, and put it into the coin tray (ashtray) in my car. Cleaned my hands with a Wet Ones alcohol wipe from a canister I keep in my car. And when I got home I washed my hands thoroughly with soap and hot water. Didn't get sick. But I also avoided touching my face with my hands until my hands were washed.

I'm bumping this thread because I picked up a copy of the DVD of the movie Grease (1978, John Travolta, Olivia Newton-John) cheap. Was watching it.

There is a scene where one of the girls feels blue, but then she spots a penny on the pavement. "See a penny, pick it up, and all the day you'll have good luck," she recites. Her mood brightens. One of the other girls snatches the penny and gives it to Kenicke for good luck. But she drops the coin. Kenicke bends over to pick it up, but just then someone opens the car door, conking Kenicke on the head. Danny Zuko (Travolta) has to take over for the dazed Kenicke in the stock car race that ensues. ...

So the penny was not really good luck for Kenicke.

banks wash coins. They put them in a big turny thing, with water.
The bank I worked at never did that. We sent it back off as dirty as we got it. :p

Unless you never use coins, not picking them up because of bacteria is pretty illogical. If I pick up a coin, spend it, and you get it back as change.. No different than if you picked it up yourself.

I always look for anything above pennies. I save them in my desk at work and when I have enough, I treat myself to a rare soda. :p the machine doesn't take pennies.

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
The bank I worked at never did that. We sent it back off as dirty as we got it. :p

banks do that. Maybe some periodically haul some in for a wash.
I remember counting coins and my hands got greasy. I suppose there is a limit to how greasy coins would get....I can't remember where I saw that coins were washed. Some documentary I think.