News 6 Most Shocking Truths-The US Food Industry

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Tom L.
@Emma JC I thought I was sort of aware about how much behind-the-scenes nonsense goes on involving food production, but... yeah. 449 gallons of water for one bar?! I was quote aware of how much food waste goes on, though. That's always bothered me. I often buy baked goods from the last-date-of-sale cart at my supermarket for that reason, but I have my limits: this week, I was checking out a loaf of all-natural multigrain bread, and noticed a big o'l colony of MOLD (which was already nomming that loaf). Mushrooms I will eat; yeasted bread too- but... yuck.

@Emma JC I thought I was sort of aware about how much behind-the-scenes nonsense goes on involving food production, but... yeah. 449 gallons of water for one bar?! I was quote aware of how much food waste goes on, though. That's always bothered me. I often buy baked goods from the last-date-of-sale cart at my supermarket for that reason, but I have my limits: this week, I was checking out a loaf of all-natural multigrain bread, and noticed a big o'l colony of MOLD (which was already nomming that loaf). Mushrooms I will eat; yeasted bread too- but... yuck.

so I did a bit of research on where the most cocoa beans are grown and as much as I am sure there is truth to the amount of water needed to grow, they do neglect to say that many of those cocoa beans are grown in areas that have a huge amount of rainfall eg the Ivory Coast

also I think if we looked at all food this way there would be little left to eat/drink as even coffee... for one cup takes 34 gallons to grow the beans or 5000 gallons for a pound of coffee - coffee is also grown in high rainfall countries eg Panama

so I am still going to buy my coffee and my large dark chocolate bar, of which I eat maybe 2 squares per week and store in the fridge

if we stopped buying all these things there are huge number of low income people/countries that would become even poorer - try to buy fair trade when you can

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com