News 6 Most Shocking Truths-The US Food Industry

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
No one in this forum will be shocked or surprised. but I like that this is getting reported.
About 8 million people read Eat This, Not That. Including me.

Number one shocking truth

1.1 million animals are killed for food every hour

No one in this forum will be shocked or surprised. but I like that this is getting reported.
About 8 million people read Eat This, Not That. Including me.

Number one shocking truth

1.1 million animals are killed for food every hour

awww there goes my dark chocolate bar........

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

• Friendly
Reactions: Lou and Tom L.
@Emma JC I thought I was sort of aware about how much behind-the-scenes nonsense goes on involving food production, but... yeah. 449 gallons of water for one bar?! I was quote aware of how much food waste goes on, though. That's always bothered me. I often buy baked goods from the last-date-of-sale cart at my supermarket for that reason, but I have my limits: this week, I was checking out a loaf of all-natural multigrain bread, and noticed a big o'l colony of MOLD (which was already nomming that loaf). Mushrooms I will eat; yeasted bread too- but... yuck.

@Emma JC I thought I was sort of aware about how much behind-the-scenes nonsense goes on involving food production, but... yeah. 449 gallons of water for one bar?! I was quote aware of how much food waste goes on, though. That's always bothered me. I often buy baked goods from the last-date-of-sale cart at my supermarket for that reason, but I have my limits: this week, I was checking out a loaf of all-natural multigrain bread, and noticed a big o'l colony of MOLD (which was already nomming that loaf). Mushrooms I will eat; yeasted bread too- but... yuck.

so I did a bit of research on where the most cocoa beans are grown and as much as I am sure there is truth to the amount of water needed to grow, they do neglect to say that many of those cocoa beans are grown in areas that have a huge amount of rainfall eg the Ivory Coast

also I think if we looked at all food this way there would be little left to eat/drink as even coffee... for one cup takes 34 gallons to grow the beans or 5000 gallons for a pound of coffee - coffee is also grown in high rainfall countries eg Panama

so I am still going to buy my coffee and my large dark chocolate bar, of which I eat maybe 2 squares per week and store in the fridge

if we stopped buying all these things there are huge number of low income people/countries that would become even poorer - try to buy fair trade when you can

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com