5 month vegan

Jaimee Poe

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
hey guys! so i've been vegan for about 5 months now and i love eating this way i can't stand the thought of eating meat again but i'm having some problems going on and i'm hoping someone can help me! i've noticed my skin has been super dry and my hair has definitely gotten more dry/thinner since i transitioned. i research and research about what vitamins i should be taking, so i was taking a multi vitamin in the beginning but then i switched to just take a b12 supplement 3 times a week and a calcium with vitamin d supplement every day. but i've noticed it's gotten more dry recently. do you think it's because i stopped taking the multi? i would like to start taking it again but am wondering if i can take the multi as well as a seperate calcium & vitamin d supplement since multis don't have much calcium in them. i'm just really confused about which vitamins i should be taking, i've also gotten sick twice since i transitioned which i never got sick in the past before i went vegan. Sorry if this post is a bit scattered!

Are you drinking enough water through out the day? Skin does tend to get drier this time of year as the weather changes.

Hey Jamie.

I wouldn't say your symptoms are related to your diet, it's probably just the weather.

Bare in mind that you're probably taking in a lot more nutrients now than when you were consuming meat/dairy, so it's unlikely that veganism is the cause. It's normal to be fairly nutrient conscious when you're just starting out, I used to be and I'm sure others were too.

Are you supplementing calcium? Surprisingly there's quite a lot of plant based foods that are calcium rich so you may want to be careful, you wouldn't want to over do it. I personally only supplement vitamin D during the winter and I'll take a vitamin B12 every other week as a lot of food I eat everyday has B12 fortified.

I've said this many times before, other than vitamin B12 there's nothing you can't source from plants that you can with consuming meat/dairy, I feel absolutely fine and I've been following the vegan lifestyle for almost 3 years.

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Hey Jamie.

I wouldn't say your symptoms are related to your diet, it's probably just the weather.

Bare in mind that you're probably taking in a lot more nutrients now than when you were consuming meat/dairy, so it's unlikely that veganism is the cause. It's normal to be fairly nutrient conscious when you're just starting out, I used to be and I'm sure others were too.

Are you supplementing calcium? Surprisingly there's quite a lot of plant based foods that are calcium rich so you may want to be careful, you wouldn't want to over do it. I personally only supplement vitamin D during the winter and I'll take a vitamin B12 every other week as a lot of food I eat everyday has B12 fortified.

I've said this many times before, other than vitamin B12 there's nothing you can't source from plants that you can with consuming meat/dairy, I feel absolutely fine and I've been following the vegan lifestyle for almost 3 years.

yes i am supplementing calcium because whenever i track my food on chronometer i meet like 70% of my calcium goal, so i have a 1.000 mg supplement and ill usually take about 2 of them just to get a little more for the day. is that okay?

Were you taking them before you chose to follow a vegan diet?

Honestly, if you weren't taking them before I wouldn't take them now.

Read through this, you may also find this useful.

Are you getting enough oils/ fats in your diet. When I get very dry skin or hair I boost the olive oil I consume. It can take a while for the benefits to come through but it does work. Stop using soap and buy moisturiser to wash with. Natural henna works wonders on your hair.

If you're taking the D and Calcium, I've read that vitamin K2 is SUPER important to help regulate those.
Maybe your K2 is low. Here's a good book on it. Just the table of contents will probably convince you.
Then read up on best kinds of K2; or you could just check this one out on Amzn, and trust the hours of
googling I did to find this one. 'Super K by Life Extension'.
https://www.amazon.com/Vitamin-K2-C...TF8&qid=1508188318&sr=1-2&keywords=K2+vitamin

Never put soap on your face, just use a little water. Buy a good shampoo for your hair type.
I think this should help.