3 month old vegan

Skip

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi, I've recently stopped eating meat & dairy, after many years I thought it would have been very difficult but to my surprise it hasn't yet. However lately I've been feeling like I'm run down? I hear people talking about the need for vitamins but I'm not sure... can someone please advise ....

What are you eating in a day? It helps to eat smaller meals and have snacks. Take a b complex vitamin to make sure you are getting your b vitamins.

Hi, I start my day with kale, spinach, banana & I've the same for lunch. For dinner it's usually something from the Linda McCartney range. However I'm sacking a lot on hobnobs & Oreo biscuits. I'm just wondering if I'm lacking something else?

Your meals look like they need some added energy, something like bread, rice, pasta, noodles or beans. You may simply not be getting enough calories.

Have you lost weight in recent months? If yes, try eating bigger portions and more snacks.

Have you covered the basics of vegan nutrition? Cross check here https://whytryveg.wordpress.com/2017/03/25/vegan-nutrition/

Are you getting enough water, mimizing stress and sleeping 8 hours a night or whatever you need. Cutting out alcohol, cigarrettes, too much coffee etc. Getting all the basics right?

Overdoing the snacking on addictive biscuits can make me personally feel like I'm filling my body with junk however I feel OK when I eat a smaller amount.

Hello Skip, try eating nuts, seeds, rices wild and brown, beans. I have a cup of Edamame which has tons of plant protein. I'm going on my 3rd month as well and I work in the construction field and burn a ton of calories. Traditional yeast has your B vitamins as well as soy milk. Key is eating a well balanced plant base diet. Good luck to you Skip.

Sounds like your breakfast may not be enough. What I do is have a large bowl of porridge oats with blueberries, goji berries, Flaxseed, Chai seed with Oat milk. Plus I take my calcium +D vitamin plus my b12 vitamin!

I have a mid morning snack of fruit, my 5 a day including a banana!

Then lunch can be left overs from yesterday's dinner or a peanut butter sandwich with loads of peanut butter plus a packet of crisps (my only sin) plus some almonds or monkey nuts.

Dinner is usually a curry filled with potatoes, peas, buck wheat, quinoa served with Brown rice!

I work in a very physical job so for me it's just a case of having larger amounts and getting the right things. I find Linda McCartney stuff doesn't hit the spot unless I eat a ton and then my body needs more protein!

I used to weight about 70-75kg as a meat eater but now I'm 80kgs!

I agree with Jamie that is sounds like you are not eating enough whole foods, plant based of course.

Animal products are high in calories for small amounts of food, oils are also calorie dense and that is the joy of eating a plant based diet that you can eat large amounts of food, feel full and satisfied, feel energetic and yet not be eating too many calories. Have a banana and berries with oatmeal or whole grain cereal or whole grain toast (Ezekiel or similar) for breakfast and then incorporate lots of vegetables and sweet potatoes and beans and greens etc for your other meals. Fruit, dates etc for snacks.

Getting enough calories is important, feeling satiated is important and getting your nutriets is also important. B12 and vitD in the winter are the vitamins that we take.

Congratulations again on giving up animal products and dairy, and don't be discouraged. Watch vegan YouTubers for ideas and research. Forums like this are an amazing source of support and information and I am so happy to have found it.

good luck, Emma JC