US 25 Items That Actually Cost Less at Whole Foods

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
I stumbled across this site via a link to the Whole Foods article on MSN.com. There are good and bad things about this article.

Good: They don't force you to click through a stupid slideshow. Plus, there are no ginormous pictures that slow the page down as it's loading.

Bad: They only compare WF prices with those at one supermarket chain, Safeway. While it's possible that you may have a Safeway or a chain that's part of the Safeway umbrella brand near you (in my neck of the woods it's Vons and Pavilions), it's also possible that the supermarket(s) that you shop at have prices on the listed items that can actually beat Whole Foods' prices. Also, because the article is about saving money, there is no comparison of taste. A lot of the items listed are WF's 365 brand compared with either the Safeway store brand or a name brand, and for some people, the 365 brand isn't the one they necessarily prefer because of taste, not because of price.

Still, as the article points out, it's surprising to find some items that are CHEAPER at Whole Foods than elsewhere, so it might be worth it to compare prices of other items you might normally buy to see if you can get them cheaper at WF than at your regular store.

Oh, you can also skip #9 (the chicken broth), plus for you vegans, the milk and dairy items. However, I wonder if vegetable broth might also be cheaper at WF than at Safeway or at other supermarkets.

http://www.cheapism.com/blog/2917/whats-cheap-at-whole-foods#cont_goog_box

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
Interesting! I buy some canned beans there for price; some varities of the 365 brand are 88 cents/can.

I also buy #7 there:

Organic Frozen Vegetables
Whole Foods: $1.79-$1.99
Safeway: $2.79
Conventional frozen vegetables cost several cents less at Safeway, but the organic versions are cheaper at Whole Foods. Shoppers who take home 16-ounce bags of 365 Everyday Value organic frozen vegetables save 80 cents on peas and $1 on corn.

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF