News 2016 U.S. Presidential election - the highs and lows

Donald Trump's basic platform is: "I hate Mexicans". It's telling that he's leading in the polls, though Hillary Clinton still beats him.

Donald Trump's basic platform is: "I hate Mexicans". It's telling that he's leading in the polls, though Hillary Clinton still beats him.
He surely(!?) doesn't stand a chance in the general election, yet I believe he's the leading Republican candidate? The stuff he said recently about McCain sounds very unfair, yet there are people who support Trump. He's a bit like a troll to the Republicans, as he's effectively spoiling their initially very good general election chances.

He surely(!?) doesn't stand a chance in the general election, yet I believe he's the leading Republican candidate? The stuff he said recently about McCain sounds very unfair, yet there are people who support Trump. He's a bit like a troll to the Republicans, as he's effectively spoiling their initially very good general election chances.

The Republicans are a troll to the Republicans.

Reactions: Amy SF
Donald Trump's anti-Mexican rhetoric resonates well with many Republicans and conservatives. On top of that, there are a lot of Republicans in the race, so potential supporters are spread thin. Trump's stock will quickly plummet when these clowns start debating each other.

This has definite entertainment value:
Donald Trump has hit back at fellow Republicans fed up with his behaviour in a fiery speech on Tuesday in which he revealed a rival presidential candidate’s cell phone number.

Floods of Trump supporters jammed the phone line of 2016 Republican presidential hopeful senator Lindsey Graham, who recently called Trump a “jackass” in an ongoing feud between the two rivals.
More: Donald Trump reveals Republican rival Lindsey Graham's phone number on TV | US news | The Guardian (22. July 2015)

get

original.jpg

Reactions: Scorpius

Seriously, don't take it seriously. American presidential elections are a marathon. It doesn't matter who is ahead after the first mile, no matter how big the lead. By comparison, at this point in the 2008 election Obama was only polling about 25% and Hillary Clinton about twice that.

Trump is a novelty candidate; the Republican teenage political crush of the week. The first Republican presidential debate is August 6. I'd wait to see where the polls are after that.

Reactions: ledboots and Amy SF
It's interesting that Trump is still in the lead, and by a wide margin as well, it seems: More than 10 percentage points ahead of Bush. My money is still on Bush. The primaries are still 6 months away, and once the smaller candidates start to give up, I'm sure we'll eventually see Bush III emerge as the front-runner.
People supporting Trump at this point isn't surprising. It is people venting their frustration in the political processes and the crappy choices they are given to choose from time after time.

Trump has zero chance of winning the nomination, and I expect the upcoming debate to be his imploding ground. I'm not so sure about Bush getting the nod. He is a good debater and less goofy than his brother and father, but I don't think any of us are ready for another Bush.

I was thinking Jindel from Loiusiana or Rubio from Florida may have a chance at the nomination. We will have to see how things unfold.

Jindal is out. I don't think that anyone who didn't make the cut for the first debate has a chance.

I'm pretty sure that Bush will be the GOP candidate.