2 rants

Hazelsqueak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I hate it when I say and do things in defense of animals, and someone comes along and says WELL WHAT ABOUT (insert group of disadvantaged people.)

Ummm so because I care about animals, that means I can't care about people too? I am only capable of helping animals OR people, not both? Seems...small minded to me.

I also hate it when people say they are "dog lovers" but have no issue with the dog meat trade because "it's their culture." Sorry, but you don't love dogs then...you love YOUR dog (maybe.)

I hate it when I say and do things in defense of animals, and someone comes along and says WELL WHAT ABOUT (insert group of disadvantaged people.)

Ummm so because I care about animals, that means I can't care about people too? I am only capable of helping animals OR people, not both? Seems...small minded to me.

I also hate it when people say they are "dog lovers" but have no issue with the dog meat trade because "it's their culture." Sorry, but you don't love dogs then...you love YOUR dog (maybe.)

I agree completely.

However, IMHO, the reason that sort of comment bothers me so much is that I don't do as much for people (or other causes) as I could.

Doing positive things is one thing. But NOT doing negative things is also very important. And usually easier. But on a day to day basis a pretty good thing to do.

There is a line I heard once, and I wish I could remember exactly how it went but its gist was something along the lines of eating animals, it's both the most and the least you can do.

----

Today, I'm not going to shoot any unarmed black teenagers.
I'm not going to waste water or electricity.
I'm not going to buy an assault weapon

And
I'm not going to eat any animals.

Dr Doug Lisle, an evolutionary psychologist, has some great vids and podcasts on exactly this topic.

Root cause: people making these comments are seeing that you are taking an emotional high ground and try to shoot you down to their level.. it’s evolutionary human nature.

What you do instead, is show that you are no better than they are (even though you really are :)) and then they have no ammunition to shoot.

So when they say, “... what about x group?”
Your response can be something like, “you are right, they need help too, what do you think society can do to make it better from group x?”
Or
“You are right, I’m not the greatest vegan but I try my best. Not sure how long this will last, it’s like a little experiment for me”.

I hear your frustration because most times we are minding our own business and not bringing up anything about food, but others like to focus on it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou and Hazelsqueak