Computers 100% disc usage

Danielle

forever seeking fire
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I decided to turn on my laptop after months of neglect, only to find out that it loads more slow than ever, even freezes up at times. I go on task manager and find out the disk is at 100%. Sometimes it lowers, but goes back up. I think this is why the laptop is slower than usual, but why is it? Could it be windows 10? I tried disabling superfetch and windows search, that didn't help. Could it be that I need a new hard drive? This is a 2012 gaming laptop

Last edited:
Just wildly guessing: Maybe it is downloading some OS upgrade which is taking up a lot of disk space? If so, it would make sense to free up some disk space.

I just did a system restore. It has windows 8 now. It's not going back up to 100% anymore. Problem solved. My laptop can't handle Windows 10.

Last edited:
When I did a system restore, it set it back to the operating system it came with, which was Windows 8. I'm just glad I can use it again, without bad lag.

By the way, I run Norton Internet Security. It has given me warning messages about lack of hard disk space. What it basically insists on is that no more than 85 percent of your hard disk space should be used. I am not saying that this is right, only that this is the number that I have heard of as a standard.

I had a lot of music files on the computer that got moved to an external hard drive.

By the way, I run Norton Internet Security. It has given me warning messages about lack of hard disk space. What it basically insists on is that no more than 85 percent of your hard disk space should be used. I am not saying that this is right, only that this is the number that I have heard of as a standard.

I had a lot of music files on the computer that got moved to an external hard drive.
Space wasn't the problem. It still said 100% disk usage after doing a full system restore and removing everything.
After switching back to Windows 8, it stays at 50-80%. Still not ideal, but at least it stopped freezing up.

Space wasn't the problem. It still said 100% disk usage after doing a full system restore and removing everything.
After switching back to Windows 8, it stays at 50-80%. Still not ideal, but at least it stopped freezing up.

If it is below 85 percent, you should be all right.

It's strange because my desktop stays at 0-1%. Could it be because it's an older hard drive?

I am sorry, but the numbers just do not makes sense to me. Maybe someone a lot more techno-savvy than me--like Jeremy--would be someone who could help you.
Yeah it doesn't make sense that even though Dark Souls takes up 60%, the cpu goes up to 100%
I just think that I need an upgrade.