Zatarain's

D

Digger

My local store has these on sale for 80 cents a box (with coupon) this week and I'm wondering which flavors go best with tofu and/or by themselves as a side dish? Most if not all of them are vegan and today I bought some Jambalaya and also some Dirty Rice mixes. I'd like to buy some more while they are on sale... just wondering if there are particular flavors that go well in a vegan diet. Thanks!

Everything goes with tofu.

I think the Dirty Rice would be great with some sausage crumbles in it.

I can't think of a Zatarain's that I haven't liked, although it's been a while since I bought any. I probably should again - since I've been the only human in the house, I haven't been that motivated to cook (other than for the animals), and getting some mixes would be an improvement.

P.S. Has anyone invited Fromper to the forum, I know he likes Zatarain's just wondering if he got an invite.

Also, I eat the Red Beans and Rice Zatarains pretty frequently. I usually make it with Soyrizo, or any brand of chorizo-style fake sausage. (I'll pick up a few packs when they're on sale.) I usually slice the sausages into discs and fry them with a bit of vegetable oil until they're browned, then let them drain while the beans & rice is cooking. I stir them in at the end.

Super yum!

Thanks to you, I bought a couple of boxes of Zatarain's while I was in town yesterday, and realized what a super deal you're getting. They are $1.79 locally.

I noticed today that ALDI has their own brand for 99 cents a box... they had jambalaya, dirty rice, and a few different ones with beans.

Unfortunately theirs have dairy in them so not suitable for vegans.

I've noticed that some store brands have dairy and/or meat flavorings in them (normally beef or chicken). I do always read the ingredients of store brands, though, as they are usually quite a bit cheaper.

Have you checked the sodium content on these? I'm not uptight about sodium, but it's crazy high - they all taste too salty/overly seasoned. I tend to use them mixed with a LOT of other stuff - beans, potatoes, veggies, etc... - to mellow out the flavor a bit.

Yeah, the sodium is crazy high - but I do love them! I stock up when they're .99 cents.
Does anyone have an idea of how to recreate the seasoning? I can't seem to get red beans and rice like I want.
I like to add greens to the red beans and rice.
I think they had a lower sodium version once, and I didn't care for it.

I like making the jambalaya with a bunch of broccoli, cauliflower and carrots. It's spicy goodness!