Your favorite vacation destination?

kim1984

Forum Practitioner
Reaction score
Just curious to know what your favorite vacation destination is!
For me, I've been to a few places that I've adored. I would say my favorites have been New Zealand and Japan.

In New Zealand the nature there is just incredible - every scene looks like a postcard and everything is so pristine and well cared for. I feel like they have a real commitment to maintaining the eco system there and are very environmentally friendly.

I found Japan so interesting culturally. So many great temples and shrines, and so much history! I'm a bit of a history nerd so I loved that side of things.

What about you?!

I love Italy for the culture, history, wine and the food. I do also have an adventurous streak and I like island hopping in Thailand which I find relaxing and also the food is excellent there.

I like places off the beaten track and I prefer a mixture of nature and the city. Beach holidays are nice, but I like them more as a beach hut holiday rather than a resort. As I enjoy writing and reading, I like places that inspire and that are quiet.

When it comes to holidays, I like many European capital cities because of their architecture and dinning facilities. I'm passionate about gastronomy, although I'm aware not all of the each country local cuisine is totally healthy, as happens with the Spanish cuisine including too much fat in preparation, but still tasty to try when on vacation.

I must admit that I like some small cities and town in the countryside, but living myself in a capital city, I feel "strange" enjoying of quiet and peace surrounding me, and do not really enjoy having rest doing nothing but staring at the sky.

Beaches are the only destinations I don't really like at all, and it isn't about hot because I like some desert-type destinations, only that the setting of a beach is not much appealing to me.

I love Scandinavia. I have found it really easy to be vegan there. Alternative produce was easily available even in the very far north of Norway and I love the fact that you can camp wild almost anywhere you want. Eating out is expensive but I'm not really into eating out frequently and prefer to about cities and go off the beaten track completely.

Not to mention the fact that the people are really friendly and generous and it is a wonderful set of countries to cycle through.

France is absolutely incredible, especially the south-west near Biarritz and Anglet. They are surfing towns but there are so many beautiful things to see and do. They are basque towns so it's really clear to see that with the signposts being in both French and Basque and the lovely building in the old quarter of Bayonne. It's not too far away from Bordeaux, so you can be sure to choose a tasty wine every night ! The beaches are incredible and there is plenty of history to see! And did I mention that Bayonne is the chocolate capital of France? It really is incredible!

you can be sure to choose a tasty wine every night
How many of those wines are vegetarian or vegan though?

From the Telegraph Newspaper. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/wine/10801226/The-rise-of-vegetarian-wine.html
"Most — though certainly not all — wine undergoes a process called fining, during which a fining agent is passed through the liquid to speed precipitation of microscopic particles that might otherwise cause the wine to be unstable or go hazy. In previous decades, it was not unusual to use bulls’ blood for this procedure, a practice that has died out in Europe as it is not loved by the EC. Today’s common fining agents include bentonite (a type of clay), casein (derived from milk proteins), isinglass (derived from fish bladders) and albumen (which is obviously egg white)."

Vegetarian Society webpage on Wines
https://www.vegsoc.org/sslpage.aspx?pid=734

A website which lists if a wine if filtered through animal products to clarify it. The site also covers beers and liquors and is a Vegan or not site, so does not cover if it is filtered through casein or albumen making it vegetarian, not vegan.
http://www.barnivore.com/wine

I love Scandinavia. I have found it really easy to be vegan there. Alternative produce was easily available even in the very far north of Norway and I love the fact that you can camp wild almost anywhere you want. Eating out is expensive but I'm not really into eating out frequently and prefer to about cities and go off the beaten track completely.

Not to mention the fact that the people are really friendly and generous and it is a wonderful set of countries to cycle through.

I've heard great things from friends that have visited that part of the world too. Found this article online, as well:

http://www.thelocal.se/20140321/one-in-ten-swedes-is-vegetarian-survey

One in ten is either vegan or vegetarian - that's awesome! I guess that's a big part of why they have to cater so well to us!

I've heard great things from friends that have visited that part of the world too. Found this article online, as well:

http://www.thelocal.se/20140321/one-in-ten-swedes-is-vegetarian-survey

One in ten is either vegan or vegetarian - that's awesome! I guess that's a big part of why they have to cater so well to us!
We found the range of vegan foods in Finland in the supermarkets to be amazing and considerably better than in Sweden which surprised us at first. Even in the very far north of Finland (and we went as far north as you can go travelling down from Norway into Finland over close to the Russian border, the range of produce was far superior to what we get in the best UK supermarkets even today. It was wonderful and a touch daunting to have some many options available to us and to be honest, some of it was completely unknown to us despite my ability to read Swedish and Norwegian. (I can't speak them, but have learnt a number of European languages plus Latin which makes working out written language a lot easier). But yes, it was simply great over there and we enjoyed the 3 months we had there.

My favourite place so for (although admittedly I haven't gotten around much), would have to be where I now live, Chaing Mai (Thailand). It has over 90 vegan restraints on happy cow, you can get vegan food pretty much anywhere, infact, scrap that, anywhere!!

The only bad thing about this place is the traffic, and even that ain't that bad, it's busy but super respectful!

There is so much fruit here, currently stuffing myself with rambutan, mangoes, bananas, melons, mangosteens etc!! On and did I mention it's ridiculously cheap? Like, £4.50 for 3 main courses and 6 plates of rice!! The rent is £150pcm, thai culture is really friendly, the surrounding scenery is amazing, and the weather is sunny pretty much all the time :) :) happy bunny!

My favorite place to travel is anywhere with a beach! My husband is from Cyprus, a small, Greek-speaking, island country in the Mediterranean. We are currently here now on holiday. It's so beautiful, especially in the Summer, but boy do they love their meat here! When you tell people you don't eat meat they look at you like you have two heads. Surprisingly, there's a really good vegan restaurant we've discovered in the capital city of Nicosia with really good food. There are also some American chains here so you can find things like veggie fajitas.

My favorite vacation destination would have to be Jamaica. Their beaches are beautiful and everyone are so welcoming. The foods in Jamaica are great and the combination of flavors is what makes my mouth water.

I love traveling in India--especially the south--and southeast Asia (Cambodia, Thailand, Vietnam, etc.). Very easy to be vegan in each of these places. In Europe, Italy is probably my favorite, and by far the easiest place to be vegan, but Budapest is amazing. So many great vegan restaurants there, and it's SUPER affordable to stay. Most Airbnbs I've rented (1 bedroom flats) have cost less than 40 euro per night. The thermal spas are also super affordable and amazingly therapeutic.

I adore Prague! The heart of Europe with all its bridges and fascinating architecture! I have been there several times.

There are many options for vegans and vegetarians by the way.

For example, you can try a famous chain Dhaba beas. A friend of mine who lives in Prague also showed me a restaurant Estrella, which is really out of the beaten track, situated in a cosy hidden street and the food is delicious there. I have been to one more restaurant which is called Plevel. Recommend it too.

Although, most Czech restaurants serve meat with beer, because Czech cuisine is meat-based.

What holidays I take nowadays are in Blighty, Dorset being my favourite county to visit, with Bournemouth having one of the best vegan cafes that I've been to:

For a city break I gravitate to Manchester which is even better from a vegan perspective.

Well, I live in Australia, and I'd have to say that California would have to be one of my favourite places to travel to. I've been there a few times now. I particularly loved San Francisco because it's just an awesome city in so many ways. I also really enjoyed Palm Springs and Joshua Tree and I'm hoping to get back there next year. I also loved the beaches of the OC, Disneyland, Universal Studios and LA was a fun city too.

What holidays I take nowadays are in Blighty, Dorset being my favourite county to visit, with Bournemouth having one of the best vegan cafes that I've been to:

I've only been to Bournemouth a couple of times but Dorset looks like a very appealing county to visit. Not only does it have splendid beaches
but some of the best villages in the UK.

It's not surprising that it is one of the most expensive counties to buy property.

Well, I live in Australia, and I'd have to say that California would have to be one of my favourite places to travel to. I've been there a few times now. I particularly loved San Francisco because it's just an awesome city in so many ways. I also really enjoyed Palm Springs and Joshua Tree and I'm hoping to get back there next year. I also loved the beaches of the OC, Disneyland, Universal Studios and LA was a fun city too.

Totally agree; California and SF. :up:

Reactions: HappyRoxy
I love Maine, as it has both beaches and mountains, two of my favorite things. :) Other favorites: Ireland, Colorado, northern California, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Seattle, Portland (Oregon and Maine), Nashville and many more.

I love Maine, as it has both beaches and mountains, two of my favorite things. :) Other favorites: Ireland, Colorado, northern California, Chicago, Montreal, Toronto, Seattle, Portland (Oregon and Maine), Nashville and many more.

I would really like to visit Maine, especially Bar Harbor. Apparently they make potato doughnuts. :D

I would really like to visit Maine, especially Bar Harbor. Apparently they make potato doughnuts. :D
Bar Harbor is gorgeous. There is a place in Portland, Maine (southern part of the state), that makes potato doughnuts, and they have excellent vegan ones. It's called The Holy Donut. I never miss an opportunity to hit up that place when I go to Portland.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
Bar Harbor is gorgeous. There is a place in Portland, Maine (southern part of the state), that makes potato doughnuts, and they have excellent vegan ones. It's called The Holy Donut. I never miss an opportunity to hit up that place when I go to Portland.

I always knew that we share the same interests.:D