Your favorite cuisine's from around the world?

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Do you have a particular favourite cuisine or just one or two dishes in particular that you like ?

I particularly like Mexican cuisine and would really like to try dishes that I've heard of but can't
get the necessary ingredients where I live, to make them. A freshly made soft corn tortilla filled
with pulled spicy seitan, salsa and guacamole makes me saliva. :yum

I also like Italian cooking, especially the way they create pasta dishes; not too much sauce and the pasta is always just right. Creamy risotto
and sun soaked vegetables with lots of olive oil.:D

However, if I had to say what most favourite dish was, it would be a pie. :cool:

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Italian
Pizza :) I order veg no cheese

TexMex
Nachos :) I make myself and add home made soy yoghurt instead of sour cream

Greek
Spanakopita :) omg yum - just add lots of salt instead of feta cheese... same taste

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and shyvas
I quite enjoy veganised Mexican food. Ingredients such as guacamole, corn (on-the-cob or otherwise), tortillas, sweet potato, refried beans, black beans, vegan mince, vegan shredded cheese, mild(!) salsa are high on my list.

But I also really enjoy Lebanese cuisine - things like hummus, baba ganoush, a broad beans dish, oven-baked cauliflower with tahini sauce, special lentils and rice, fried potatoes, lots of dishes whose names I don't know. I don't eat this as often as Mexican food, so I guess that puts Lebanese cuisine in second place.

Indian food can also be fantastic, but again I only eat this occasionally, so I think that means it's only in third place.

For years it was Mexican food. I think that perhaps after more than a couple decades of this obsession I might be getting tired of it.
I like indian food (chickpea masala, if made myself (which I rarely do) without oil), and asian noodle soup with baby bok choy and edamame/tofu :)

I love having variety in my food so it's really hard to decide. I would say that my favorite foods come from the Mediterranean, Central America, and Southeast Asia, so basically I'm cheating. Those aren't unique countries/cultures.

Let's challenge me to be ultra-specific to three for the rest of my life.

1) Italy - pizza, pasta, olives, salads, wine ...Italy was probably my first favorite as a child which is likely why it's still kind of an ultimate comfort food for me from veggie pizza to black olives to red wine. When I was really little the very first fancy restaurant I went to with my grandparents was a family owned Italian place. I always got the cheese lasagna in a deep dish with a Shirley Temple. Then by middle school my favorite food was pizza. I also lived with an Italian-Argentine family for a while and dated the son, which just reinforced my childhood prejudices for tomato sauces and high carbs in food, while building on the wine front, and adding green chimichurri and veggie empanadas.

2) Lebanon - while living in LA I realized I really, really loved Lebanese food...their specific versions of falafel, hummus, tahini sesame paste (it's the sesame!), baba ganoush, pita, rice, tabbouleh, and of course, Lebanese pickles. I used to go to this one place and get falafel wrapped in a pita with salad topping, extra extra tahini sauce, and extra extra pink Lebanese pickled turnips. There's a fancier place I enjoyed too which was very nice, the people were kind and generous, but the place where I could get the pita wrap is literally the last place I went out to eat in Los Angeles before I moved. Lebanese people also put really awesome flavors into their ice cream like rose water, lavender, green tea, and orange oil. I was introduced to it as well while working near Wilshire and Westwood as a vegetarian, and these unique full-bodied flavors translate well to vegan nice creams. Nothing made me love Arabic culture more than working in Little Armenia, and I know this (and not public shaming) is the key to anti-racism.

3) South India - South India has more vegetarians than North India, and has a very specific Indian cuisine that makes me happy. Thali plates are really fun to eat in a restaurant, and dosas are like Asian burritos. At home I now make curry a bunch with potatoes, peas, onions and coconut milk (as well as spices, and possibly other add-ins) because it's a cheap, delicious meal, and have discovered the joy of chutneys, for everything from their intended purpose (Indian food) to pita chips to baked potatoes. I also like that lentils are so popular in India because sometimes I find them easier to take than beans, they have a milder flavor and texture. It's pretty easy to veganize Indian food and canned, full-fat coconut milk is indispensable for various reasons.

Honorable mentions to Japan and Mexico. I know. I'm cheating.

I love Italian food. I always have and always will...until death do we part :) I've often jokingly said that if I were ever on death row, pizza would be my last request.

I also love East Indian cuisine, but then I also love Thai food. Lets just make this simple...I love good food, and anything with spice is nice :p

I love Italian food. I always have and always will...until death do we part :) I've often jokingly said that if I were ever on death row, pizza would be my last request.

I also love East Indian cuisine, but then I also love Thai food. Lets just make this simple...I love good food, and anything with spice is nice :p

Do you have any specific dishes ?:)

I used to eat a lot of Thai food before going plant-based and I haven't been able to find/make a Phad Thai that is as tasty. Because I also limit my oil intake it leaves less options for eating out. We do make our own curries but it is Phad Thai that I miss the most.

Emma JC

Reactions: Veganite
I love anything with curry, really, but to name a few I really enjoy: Aloo gobi, which is basically just cauliflower and potatoes sauteed with garam masala and turmeric. Dal, of course, which is simply just curried lentils. I also make my own pakoras and samosas. I make curried stews all the time as well.

Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15