Yahoo Groups are closing down, all content to be deleted

I could see how it would be upsetting for people who do use it, though. If VV was disbanding instead of merging with VF, I would be very sad. Same if something happened to FB.

I used Yahoo Groups ages ago but not recently, so no, this does not bother me.

Reactions: shyvas
Sounds like it's a while since its popularity peaked!

Am I right in thinking Yahoo Groups today are used mostly by grumpy, old people who refuse to communicate online by other means than email? ;)

Hey, you'll be old one day. :confused:
Yes, you are right. Unless I die prematurely. And not that there's anything wrong with being technology challenged! And grumpiness can be justified, sometimes. I think my point was something about Yahoo Groups being used by people who *refuse* to even try learning new things.

Am I right in thinking Yahoo Groups today are used mostly by grumpy, old people who refuse to communicate online by other means than email? ;)
LOL! I used them back in the early 2000s before social media as we know it really exploded.

Yes, you are right. Unless I die prematurely. And not that there's anything wrong with being technology challenged! And grumpiness can be justified, sometimes. I think my point was something about Yahoo Groups being used by people who *refuse* to even try learning new things.

Maybe it's not about being grumpy and old but about privacy and security? This is the only social media that I partake of. No facebook or twitter or instagram or whatsapp etc. I communicate by text, email, phone and on this forum. Did you read that article on CNN yesterday about the reporter who asked a hacker to hack her and she was hacked within minutes because of what she posts on facebook and instagram.

My sister, who is 10 years older than me and not the least grumpy ;) facebooks and whatsapps etc and doesn't even know what a Yahoo Group is. She asked me to join whatsapp just last week and I said, no thank you.

I have nothing to hide and yet despise the big brother aspect of technology. I do not belong to any of the Airmile type cards, grocery cards, pharmacy cards etc. I am sure that I still leave a big footprint and could be tracked and yet do try to minimize it as much as possible. Allowing my data to be used for someone else's benefit rankles me.

Okay, rant over for the morning. o_O

Emma JC

Maybe it's not about being grumpy and old but about privacy and security? This is the only social media that I partake of. No facebook or twitter or instagram or whatsapp etc. I communicate by text, email, phone and on this forum. Did you read that article on CNN yesterday about the reporter who asked a hacker to hack her and she was hacked within minutes because of what she posts on facebook and instagram.

Emma JC

Same here. I really dislike FB & Twitter. I also like privacy and security. 👍

Reactions: Emma JC

My sister, who is 10 years older than me and not the least grumpy ;) facebooks and whatsapps etc and doesn't even know what a Yahoo Group is. She asked me to join whatsapp just last week and I said, no thank you.

I have nothing to hide and yet despise the big brother aspect of technology. I do not belong to any of the Airmile type cards, grocery cards, pharmacy cards etc. I am sure that I still leave a big footprint and could be tracked and yet do try to minimize it as much as possible. Allowing my data to be used for someone else's benefit rankles me.

Emma JC
It's nearly impossible not to be watched/tracked these days unless you live in the middle of the woods or something. I resisted getting EZPass for tolls for years until I realized I was tracked anyway because of all the cameras at the toll booths. I, too, had resisted the rewards cards for various things, but I got tired of not getting the sale prices that cardholders get. Businesses punish people who don't belong to their programs with higher prices. It's unfair, but it's hard to avoid. I wish we could dial back the tracking, but the overwhelming greed of the world makes that almost impossible. Information, sadly, is the gold of the global economy.

• Sad
Reactions: Emma JC

No! When I used it, I was part of a "knitlist" group. Around 2002, there were about 800 messages/month - people sharing projects, asking questions - no way could one handle that many email message to their personal email (who'd want to??). Many of the members had blogs so they could point people to them for photos of their "UFO" - unfinished objects, they're called in the knitting world. Some of the bloggers that were active then went on to become pattern designers and make quite good money designing and selling knitting patterns, or even software now. ...Ravelry took over eventually and everyone stopped using the Yahoo Group.

The other group I was in was just for people who owned the particular motorcycle that I had. People would share photos and buy/sell parts, share techniques about how to do mods, etc. Once that bike got old, the group started to die down. There's a Facebook group for us now. :)

Reactions: Second Summer
I've never used Yahoo Groups or if I have, it was so long ago and so brief that I don't remember.

Emma JC

My experience with FB is that for the most part, many people are highly reserved if they are using a real identity, often only sharing photos and limiting their likes, preferences etc to either friends or private. People with less mainstream views often use faux accounts. This isn't cut and dry and there are those who are brave enough to be open about unpopular views under a real identity. I used a faux identity there for years and posted things I would otherwise be hesitant to do under my real name. Now I also use my real name and occasionally post controversial things. So far, no backlash. I'd rather take a few risks and be real than hide what I honestly think for fear of public disapproval.

Reactions: KLS52