Would you own a 3-D printer?

I saw an article somewhere where some guy had found a way to make a gun (pistol) with a 3-D printer. (He was a libertarian who thought everyone should be free to have a gun.) I think there was one part of the gun that the printer could not make, so you had to buy that separately. But apparently buying that part did not require any of the gun registration or licensing that buying a regular gun would involve.

Actually I think the firing pin was that one part. He used a standard nail as the firing pin. But that's only now, and will not be a problem in the near future when commercially available 3d printing isn't limited to plastics.

Some guy was already arrested in Japan for printing revolver parts.

If they're already printing organs with 3d printers that basically use stem cells as ink, I'm pretty sure they'll get simple metal objects figured out.

Reactions: Tom L.
I'm not that fancy, I play with plastic miniatures. :p

In my current game, we play with small paper cut outs that we slide into these little upside down plastic "T's" to keep them upright.

I don't think anyone could go lower than that. :p

We do get to color them in though....

I really do like technology, but I don't like to acquire a lot of stuff I won't use very often, no matter how inexpensive it is. So no.

I think it would be a good idea to form some sort of equipment/tool cooperative so that a group of people would have a pool of things they could use without everybody owning a lot of stuff they would buy, use once or twice, and then put in the garage/attic. And someone could be in charge of maintaining the stuff they like to maintain (I LOVE to take something and get it useable again).

a 3d molecular printer, I would have.....
If that ever comes along then there will be a slight shift in the ownership of the means of production.

Pretty soon we'll be arguing about whether meat printed using plant derived nutrients is considered vegan.

it wouldn't be less vegan than a present veggie burger made of seitan or soya etc.

Now a StarTrek replicator that used a scan or real meat to replicate, might be a different matter.

it wouldn't be less vegan than a present veggie burger made of seitan or soya etc.

Now a StarTrek replicator that used a scan or real meat to replicate, might be a different matter.

There was a specific episode of Next Generation where one of the problems they encounter is that some alien guests only eat live meat. It is mentioned that they aren't used to dealing with that because they no longer allow the enslavement of animals, or something along those lines. The alien says he's seen them eat meat, and they respond that it's all synthesized in the replicator. It does not, however, say where the replicator obtained the blueprint for such synthesis. Stuff we'll be having to debate some day :p

Never say never but not right now.