Would We Be Healthier With a Vegan Diet? - WSJ Debate

Werewolf Girl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444184704577587174077811182.html

A July 2012 Gallup poll puts the percentage of American adults who say they consider themselves vegetarian at 5%, and those who consider themselves vegans—who eat no meat or dairy products—at 2%.

Do they know something everyone else doesn't?

Far more Americans in a 2006 Gallup poll said they eat red meat and dairy regularly: 60% and 71%, respectively.

But of course, that isn't necessarily confirmation of the benefits of meat and dairy: Good health, like good sense, does not always reside with the majority.

No one is arguing that Americans should be required to eat meat or dairy products—or broccoli, for that matter. For many people, the decision comes down to convenience, habit and taste.

But whatever you currently like to eat, digging into some of the issues that define this debate could be good for your health. Indeed, there's obviously more at stake here than pleasing our taste buds.

I think it's so cool the Wall Street Journal posted this, vegan diets are becoming more and more mainstream.

The omni rebuttal is pretty ridiculous though, as if humans need the milk of another animal to be healthy. :rolleyes:

No, I'm struggling to eat already, so I would probably starve on a vegan diet.

Nice to see the poll is an overwhelming yes, even if it probably is mostly veg*ns voting.

I don't know a lot about the average American diet, but have heard that it involves a lot of processed food? Whereas if you were vegetarian or vegan, you would usually research food, nutrition, or have to cook from fresh?

I don't think either diet is healthier. It depends on the individual.

I don't know a lot about the average American diet, but have heard that it involves a lot of processed food? Whereas if you were vegetarian or vegan, you would usually research food, nutrition, or have to cook from fresh?

I don't think either diet is healthier. It depends on the individual.
Vegans are allowed to be unhealthy too. Just saying. :p

I didn't read the whole article. I think the American diet is far from ideal. I'm in awe of how much fast food I see consumed. I'm vegan and not the healthiest eater. Not a junk food vegan either. There are many vegan foods that are not the best for you. Potato chips are one of my main weaknesses.

I do like vegetables and I do like broccoli!

I can eat many things, because I either work out or undereat in general.

I do think the health argument has a lot of gaping flaws. Certainly in the 3D world I don't talk about that when I'm speaking with an omni about vegetarianism. Sometimes I do it online if I can see the person is interested in health but not animals.

It's always great when a mainstream publication opens a debate about veganism, but personally I wouldn't choose to base it on health arguments.

I do think the health argument has a lot of gaping flaws. Certainly in the 3D world I don't talk about that when I'm speaking with an omni about vegetarianism. Sometimes I do it online if I can see the person is interested in health but not animals.

It's always great when a mainstream publication opens a debate about veganism, but personally I wouldn't choose to base it on health arguments.

Agreed. It's perfectly possible to eat a very healthy omni diet, and likewise perfectly possible to eat a very unhealthy vegan diet, so going vegan for health is not terribly persuasive in the case of most people.

but liek peta sed tat teh meet rotts in ur bely foar 1000! years alsu wen ur eeting cute < 33333 kows u wil like dieeee fromm the fat omg haw can u eat the adorrable cowws you monstir!