Working out

Katt

Newcomer
Reaction score
What would be proper replacements for meat and high protein foods in general for people who work out on a daily basis? Are sports and veganism compatible?

I have wondered about this too. I know protein is one of the nutrients found in meat, but there are other nutrients as well that I can't remember what they are. I keep wondering if different kinds of beans would have some of the same nutrients. There are lots of different kinds of beans. Surely one or a few of them have to have similar nutrients. I'll be looking more into this. I want to lift weights and build muscle/tone myself.

"But, where do you get your protein?!"

A lot of plant based foods actually come naturally with protein, seeds, green vegetables and beans as mentioned above the list is actually fairly long   :p

Yes I do know that, but you would have to eat tons of vegeables to reach a proper protein intake. Would it be a good idea to use supplements like proteic shakes?

Oh.

I do eat quite a lot of vegetables I think being on an all plant based diet means you have to eat a lot more than a meat eater and apparently you need around 50 grams of protein a day so yes eating a large amount of vegetables would be one way to reach that daily goal.

EDIT: Just Googled. 

[font=arial, sans-serif]The DRI (Dietary Reference Intake) is 0.8 grams of [/font][font=arial, sans-serif]protein per[/font][font=arial, sans-serif] kilogram of body weight[/font]

So It varies. 

i think there are available vegan proteins out there... You can also include a lot of nuts and beans in your diet. I don't think you need that much protein anyway if your not looking to build muscle...The recommended intake is .8grams of protein per kg of body weight.

Possible post-workout foods that you can consume are peanut butter on whole grain bread, brown rice and beans, lentil soup, a banana, protein-rich cereal with dairy-free milk such as almond milk or soy milk, and egg whites. Not only do these foods have protein, but they also have complex carbohydrates. Combining protein with these carbs will replenish your body. This way, it can burn the calories and maintain healthy muscles. Do not forget to drink water as well!

Check out the blog by No Meat Athlete - it's one of my favorite blogs and has a lot of tips about fueling for workouts and an active lifestyle as a vegetarian or vegan.

http://www.nomeatathlete.com

I definitely think the two (veganism and working out) are compatible!

Reactions: Connie
Beans , peanuts i guess are best sources of proteins.
Exercising and working out helps a lot, it makes a healthier function of our organs and to have a better way of life. Health is wealth as most say and i do believe in it :)

Well, If you don't really want to eat meat as a source of protein then you should eat vegetables that are high in protein. I have seen a lot of list of vegan foods that is a really good source of protein for you to eat as you work out every day. I am not a total vegan because I eat meat from time to time, but I eat chicken meat and it is just working well with my body as I lose weight every day.

If a song could be written about peanut and beans as a source of protein, I would attach it here. on a light note.

There are plenty of sources of vegetable protein. Make sure you eat a variety of sources throughout the week and no longer need to worry about getting sufficient protein.
Check below, the my tips:

Tempeh (soybean)
lentils
Soy milk
edamame
seitan
tofu
peas
Brown rice
white rice
cooked broccoli
Sunflower seeds
quinoa
cooked spinach
avocado
Wheat Bread

Working out is pretty much good to our health. As for the protein rich food, rice is pretty much rich in it and spinach.
Its cool to workout with vegan diet because it maintains a cool and safe health for us. Being a vegan really does help us defend disease. So lets have a good vegan diet plus workout

If you are working out and you want to get bigger then you should eat at least chicken as a source of protein. I don't think eating pure vegetables and fruits can give the results that you wanted. On the other hand, I have seen that some vegetables have high protein content and you should look into that. I do believe that vegan and workout can go hand and hand though.

My husband and I investigated this extensively before we went off to cycle around the world. We spoke with health professionals, consulted our doctor and even paid privately to see a health nutritionalist. The only thing we came away with from everyone was the same message. Don't change our diet, it was fine.

We were vegan plus eggs, well we still are, but the point is that it is perfectly possible to be vegan or vegetarian and take plenty of hard exercise. You don't need to be a sports person to be working out heavily. All you need to do is to eat carefully, listen to your body and ensure you get enough of what your body needs. And your body is really good at telling you what it needs it is just 21st century people (well westerners) are not very good at listening!

I won't bore you with the details, but suffice to say the only change we needed to make to our diet was in volume of what we ate and how often. Nuts and fruit became hourly snacks, fat was a surprising entry but it was needed, protein came in the form of beans and other legumes or pulses. We have never been happier or healthier than we were then and a surprising number of the people we know cycling around the world are at the very least vegetarian.

As for sports women and men,I suggest you read some of these articles.

www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2012/jul/30/lizzie-armitstead-vegetarian-athletes-olympics-2012

www.bbc.co.uk/food/0/22312547

www.greatveganathletes.com/