Wood project

Dedalus

Mercurial and fleeting
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
We had some extra lumber taking up space from a project a few years ago, so this weekend I decided to put it to use. There used to be a railing on this old deck - and I removed it because A) I don't like railings when a deck is not that far off the ground and B) This railing blocked a nice view of the trees. So I built a low-profile bench right into the old posts leftover from the railing I removed. No need to bring chairs onto the deck - just sit right down! (I'm pretty proud of those arm-rests.)

I built this to surprise my wife for Mother's day. She loved it - but in true fashion for her, she said - "Wouldn't it be nice if we had TWO of these stretching across the deck?" So....the next day I added onto it. :)

You know what they say: Happy wife, happy life. It is likely I'll build one more just to round out the corner posts. Then probably a planter box for the end.

IMG_2521(1).JPG IMG_2523.JPG

Really nice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gorgeous pix. Have far are you from the nearest town ?

Not all that far from civilization. There is a seriously small town about 2 miles away - but when I say small, I mean - no gas station, no 24 hour food mart, no convenience stores - nothing really but B&B's, wine and craft shops that close up promptly at 4pm. We're a good 20 - 30 minutes away from a town with all of those luxuries.

Not all that far from civilization. There is a seriously small town about 2 miles away - but when I say small, I mean - no gas station, no 24 hour food mart, no convenience stores - nothing really but B&B's, wine and craft shops that close up promptly at 4pm. We're a good 20 - 30 minutes away from a town with all of those luxuries.

That doesn't seem that far by US standards. However, over here that would be quite a trot.

When you say "deep in the heart of nowhere", I guess you're not kidding! It's remote by my standards, anyway, but there's two of you so you're not really alone.

And good job with the project.

Nice photos.

In the UK, especially in central and southern England, you are almost always within 2-3 miles of a major road, shops, a village. I cannot think of anywhere in central or southern england that would be more than 5 miles from any civilization.

There may be an urban concentration but the country is not that big and there are villages dotted all over the place and very little uninhabitable land,

Reactions: Dedalus
Nice photos.

In the UK, especially in central and southern England, you are almost always within 2-3 miles of a major road, shops, a village. I cannot think of anywhere in central or southern england that would be more than 5 miles from any civilization.

There may be an urban concentration but the country is not that big and there are villages dotted all over the place and very little uninhabitable land,

Thank you.

Not surprising, but a little sad. I think I have a romanticized image of many places in the world. :(

Wow, awesome view, Dedalus...and I take it there aren't a lot of neighbors, which means....that concert is certainly doable! ;)

And great job on the bench. The armrest is perfect for parking a lovely drink in addition to an arm. ;)

Wow, awesome view, Dedalus...and I take it there aren't a lot of neighbors, which means....that concert is certainly doable! ;)

And great job on the bench. The armrest is perfect for parking a lovely drink in addition to an arm. ;)

Thanks PT! Yes, there will be many drinks resting on them this summer. :cool: I liked them so much I am in the process of adding them to some other plain old benches I knocked together last year. Amazing what a little back support and an armrest will do!

Reactions: PTree15