Women with swords

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Due to sickness I've had a lot of time on my hands lately, though not the energy for anything requiring much effort. So I ended up reading up on casual topics that interest me, such as .... women with swords, as depicted in contemporary art and film.

I found the below blog entry instructive, and thought it would be worth sharing, especially since there is much interest in feminist topics on this board.
Recently, an artist pointed out how boob armor can kill you and someone else created a terrific blog entry for Tor on the subject.But that’s only the beginning of everything that’s wrong with depictions of women warriors.The biggest problem? Swords.
Full article: http://mariaalexander.wordpress.com...ost-photos-and-drawings-of-women-with-swords/

Reactions: Brian W
If you expect realistic fights/weapon handling from fiction, then you're doing it wrong.

Not to say that the thing about women having to look "sexy" all the time is getting annoying.

Seriously??? This is an 8 hour + video of people in metal cans (can't discern their genders, however, most seem to be men to me) trying to bash and dent each other?
You must really have a lot of time on your hands :D

Seriously??? This is an 8 hour + video of people in metal cans (can't discern their genders, however, most seem to be men to me) trying to bash and dent each other?
You must really have a lot of time on your hands :D
It was a live broadcast at the time. I took the commentator's word for it that there were women underneath all the armour.

Haha, yes, I saw a few in the awards ceremony, but the parts I saw seemed to have mainly male participation.
Anyway, would be hard to discern with the armor!

My wife and I are always making fun of the silly armour in fantasy art but I had never thought about the swords before. Great post Indian Summer.

Haha, yes, I saw a few in the awards ceremony, but the parts I saw seemed to have mainly male participation.
Anyway, would be hard to discern with the armor!

So, having now also read the link from your original post about female armor, it seems the armor in the video was good armor (as it was not possible to discern any female forms below them)