Wine Glasses - Doubled since 1990

Indeed, they have. I have a set of wine glasses from the early '90s that now could pass for aperitif glasses. The ones I recently bought are huge in comparison. I will post a pic later when I get home. :D

I really like huge wine glasses. There is something very elegant about them.

I really like huge wine glasses. There is something very elegant about them.
I do as well. The ones I got for the holidays (such a pretty red color) have facets cut into them. They are so pretty and look so nice on the table.

I do as well. The ones I got for the holidays (such a pretty red color) have facets cut into them. They are so pretty and look so nice on the table.

I also think that elegant, large glasses do make a table look inviting. The only drawback is washing them. I bought a small spiral sponge when I was in the US and it works wonders for getting deep into the glass.

I also like heavy crystal glasses. I have 4 that I bought on sale in Canada. They are really quite pricy when paying the full price.

Reactions: PTree15
I also think that elegant, large glasses do make a table look inviting. The only drawback is washing them.
I also like heavy crystal glasses. I have 4 that I bought on sale in Canada. They are really quite pricy when paying the full price.
I regard wine glasses as "disposable" and only buy them from Ikea, where they are cheap. I did like some large ones I bought but you only had to look at them to make them shatter. As long as the glass is not too thick the cheap glasses do not have any adverse effect on the taste of the wine. Another disadvantage of the big glasses is that this encourages us all to drink more than is healthy and/or responsible. Having said that I have a glass of Rioja or Ribera (del Duero) every night.
For drinking my Glen Morangie, however I think that crystal glasses make the taste better. However I only drink expensive whisky and only on special occasions.
I never drink champagne except when someone else is paying!
Please don't buy cava for Christmas or New Year. You will be subsidising the break up of Spain.

Last edited:
I regard wine glasses as "disposable" and only buy them from Ikea, where they are cheap. I did like some large ones I bought but you only had to look at them to make them shatter. As long as the glass is not too thick the cheap glasses do not have any adverse effect on the taste of the wine. Another disadvantage of the big glasses is that this encourages us all to drink more than is healthy and/or responsible. Having said that I have a glass of Rioja or Ribera (del Duero) every night.
For drinking my Glen Morangie, however I think that crystal glasses make the taste better. However I only drink expensive whisky and only on special occasions.
I never drink champagne except when someone else is paying!
Please don't buy cava for Christmas or New Year. You will be subsidising the break up of Spain.

I really don't think that it matters whether glasses are cheap or expensive. You certainly can buy inexpensive tableware these days from many stores. However, I think that there is something very elegant when a glass is large.

I usually have a nice full bodied red wine in a crystal glass as an occasional treat. My favourite white would be a Californian chardonnay because it's the only wine that doesn't give me a migraine. I also discovered an English sparkling wine (made in the South Downs in Kent) this summer which I can also consume without having a horrible headache.

The only drawback is the English wine is quite expensive.

https://www.chapeldown.com

IMG_7715.jpg

English sparkling wines: Mark Hix's picks | British GQ

Last edited:
Hmm I think a larger glass actually encourages less drinking of unhealthy amounts. I am less likely to refill a larger glass. If I have a smaller glass, I think, "I can have another glass it two because it's so small." I also don't like thick glasses.

I don’t like glasses with stems. :eek::hide:

I love these:
8ED3CBC8-5E68-44DD-8961-E15550B82F78.jpeg

Here is a comparison of a wine glass from the '90s and one I just bought (the red one :D ):
20171229_130621_001.jpg

My red wine glasses are still about the same size as the ones I bought around 1995 (about 300 to 400 cc per glass, depending on the tape of wine) as the science was already quite clear back then that most red wines taste better from large glasses where they have a larger oxidation surface.

But yes, the company making them, now offers stemless 900 cc glasses (if you wanted, you could pour a full bottle of wine into one glass), which makes less sense in my opinion.

My guess is that, like in most areas of life, people are now more willing to indulge and spend more on not only one, but separate sets of fancy wine glasses and the prices have come down a bit ...

9DAB5264-9E85-40F0-B4C0-D8C3EF74596E.jpeg

I really don't think that it matters whether glasses are cheap or expensive. You certainly can buy inexpensive tableware these days from many stores. However, I think that there is something very elegant when a glass is large.
| British GQ
The problem with expensive glasses is that they put the focus in the wrong place. The only thing that matters is the quality of the wine and good quality wine can be inexpensive or expensive. Price is no guarantee of quality. If it were, all wine bought in the UK (or Norway) would be excellent and all wine bought in Spain would be second rate.
Also the size of the glass is not so important. What matters is how full the glass is and how quickly you drink. When the glass is 3/4 empty it looks much more elegant, especially if you are obviously savouring the wine and drinking mindfully (and in moderation).
I buy wine glasses from Ikea because I can easily replace them (I live 5 minutes from Ikea, Malaga). Wine glasses are easily broken, especially if you drink regularly, and it does not look elegant to present every guest with a differently designed glass.

The problem with expensive glasses is that they put the focus in the wrong place. The only thing that matters is the quality of the wine and good quality wine can be inexpensive or expensive. Price is no guarantee of quality. If it were, all wine bought in the UK (or Norway) would be excellent and all wine bought in Spain would be second rate.
Also the size of the glass is not so important. What matters is how full the glass is and how quickly you drink. When the glass is 3/4 empty it looks much more elegant, especially if you are obviously savouring the wine and drinking mindfully (and in moderation).
I buy wine glasses from Ikea because I can easily replace them (I live 5 minutes from Ikea, Malaga). Wine glasses are easily broken, especially if you drink regularly, and it does not look elegant to present every guest with a differently designed glass.
I do agree that how full the glass is affects the taste. I pour just to the top of the widest part of the glass. That's how my mom always has poured.

Those new red glasses I bought were $7 apiece, so that wasn't too bad.
I refuse to drink wine out of plastic glasses or cups, though. Blech!

You are lucky to live so close to an Ikea. The closest to me is almost an hour away by car.

Good quality wine doesn't have to be expensive. I have had very good cheap wine in the UK as most of it comes from the New World. I was invited to dinner yesterday and I was served the most vile Bordeaux in a tumbler. I only could manage 4 sips as I wanted to be polite. As I don't drink very often due to health issues, I was most disappointed. Moreover my hostess absolutely loathes red wine and had bought it especially for me.:rolleyes:

You certainly should not fill the wine to the brim as the latter needs to breathe.

I do like beautiful glass ware and thinks that it makes a difference when drinking good quality wine. I will also not drink wine in plastic goblets.

I still can't believe the taste of the wine last night…….:( and am in total shock ! :p