OSes Windows 10: Free upgrade for Win 7 & 8 users

I have 7, and I'm getting messages that the 29th is the deadline to get the free upgrade to 10. If I upgrade, what about the apps I have on my current system? Will they automatically transfer to the 10 OS, or will I have to re-install them manually?

I have 7, and I'm getting messages that the 29th is the deadline to get the free upgrade to 10. If I upgrade, what about the apps I have on my current system? Will they automatically transfer to the 10 OS, or will I have to re-install them manually?

As Chryssie said, they will still be there. You won't lose, or have to re-install anything.

I have tried using "cortana" and it doesn't help. When I type in "spider solitaire applicatin" for instance, I am led to the folder where it is located, but no application opens, just a folder file that is empty. Cortana has been useless to me.

However, on a positive note, a few nights ago I discovered that my start menu is now working. I have no idea why after several months it suddenly decided to start working, but I am not complaining! I haven't done anything different. It feels good to be able to access all my programs again!

Reactions: KLS52
Thanks Chryssie!

Gosh, her and Jeremy's statements contradict many reports I have gotten. For example, I believe you will lose Windows Media Player. Many people choose to replace it with VLC.

I have tried using "cortana" and it doesn't help. When I type in "spider solitaire applicatin" for instance, I am led to the folder where it is located, but no application opens, just a folder file that is empty. Cortana has been useless to me.

However, on a positive note, a few nights ago I discovered that my start menu is now working. I have no idea why after several months it suddenly decided to start working, but I am not complaining! I haven't done anything different. It feels good to be able to access all my programs again!

I'm glad your start menu is now working.

I am told that there are major privacy concerns with Cortana. Some Windows 10 users are disabling it for this reason.

Everything has "major privacy concerns" these days... Smart TV's, Facebook, Google/Gmail, and the list goes on and on. It's the new norm tbh. But at any rate, disabling Cortana does not remove the ability to search.

Windows Media Player is definitely still intact if you chose to use it. However what you DO lose is the standard games that came with Windows 7. Because they are obsolete. For solitaire the new app is called "Microsoft Solitaire Collection".

2016-07-09.png

2016-07-09 (1).png

That windows 10 box thing has only just stopped bothering me. Glad I havent heard from it for at least a week- I read that it wont be giving us the boxes anymore.

Also, Facebook was messing with my computer last month so I had limited Facebook for about a week. What it is is this programme which sells an antivirus so Facebook starts hawking an antivirus to you, really stupid...

It is fine now. At least i know what to do if it happens again.

Well, well. Anniversary update and a pop up from AMD Quick Stream saying that a license for the software cannot be found. A few days of that (and me ignoring it) and now constant BSOD. AMD drivers issue for sure according to the error msg. After several attempts of trying to fix, by either rolling back to previous build (didn't work), restore to when it was working (didn't work), and even resetting my PC (didn't work, probably because I erased all traces of 7 on there). I tried a few other things and the only way it'll work without BSODing is in safe mode. On the plus side, I now know how to boot Win 10 in safe mode.

I'm downloading Fedora.

I'm sad about this, because I do like Win 10. Oh well.

Well, well. Anniversary update and a pop up from AMD Quick Stream saying that a license for the software cannot be found. A few days of that (and me ignoring it) and now constant BSOD. AMD drivers issue for sure according to the error msg. After several attempts of trying to fix, by either rolling back to previous build (didn't work), restore to when it was working (didn't work), and even resetting my PC (didn't work, probably because I erased all traces of 7 on there). I tried a few other things and the only way it'll work without BSODing is in safe mode. On the plus side, I now know how to boot Win 10 in safe mode.

I'm downloading Fedora.

AMD is very unreliable when it comes to the development of their software and drivers. They're only marginally better than they were when ATI were still doing the developing. Which card do you have? Or are you using an APU? A lot of people had issues with Quick Stream migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and 8.1 too.

Last edited:
AMD is very unreliable when it comes to the development of their software and drivers. They're only marginally better than they were when ATI were still doing the developing. Which card do you have? Or are you using an APU? A lot of people had issues with Quick Stream migrating from Windows 7 to Windows 8, and 8.1 too.

One of the things I know next to nothing about in computers, is graphics hardware. It seems I have an APU.

system.png

One of the things I know next to nothing about in computers, is graphics hardware. It seems I have an APU.

View attachment 9629

They're pretty nifty for small form factor builds.. They worked great in the mini-itx builds that I've done. Other than that they save you money if you don't want to spend the money that dedicated video cards cost. It's too bad yours bugged up.

A build I did with an APU a few years back; I wish I had more pictures of this since the one I have really doesn't do it justice as to just how small this was, but basically the power supply in this little case takes up 2/3rds of the space inside. There is no space for a video card, the APU was the perfect solution.

mini itx.png

Reactions: Mel

I'm downloading Fedora.

I am not sure I understand your problem. I surely do not speak "abbreviationese," so did not find having to look up BSOD very helpful.

" ... a pop up from AMD Quick Stream saying that a license for the software cannot be found." A license for what software?
Are you talking about the Windows 7 Product Key? That should be on a sticker affixed to the outside of your computer.

If it is something else, I am clueless.

BSOD (Blue screen of death) is a very generic phenomenon in the Windows OS for "oops something dun goofed". With Windows 10, there is an error message that comes with it (other versions did not include this), so I was able to troubleshoot the problem. I wasn't really asking for help, although thank you for trying.

The software which the license couldn't be found is something to do with AMD Quick Stream. I am not sure what it does, but I know that the BSOD had to do with AMD which is my graphics card.

My Windows 7 key (and my Windows 10) is safely stored in a file on my computer and I took a picture of it just in case, but I don't need it at the moment, as I have installed Fedora Linux as my OS. It is stored in the BIOS anyway, so it's all good. The installation went off without a hitch except for the moment where we thought that my husband lost my Minecraft saves (almost 2 years of builds in one particular world), but we found it, so he gets to live another day.