News Why Do US Grocery Stores Still Have an Ethnic Aisle?

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Not really vegan news but it does remind me of the issues that plant based meats face. Do they put them in with meat or do they keep them in a separate area - next to the tofu and vegan cheeses?

I may take a picture of the aisle marker my store uses. I think it even uses the words Hispanic and Asian on their "ethnic aisle"
I don't think we have a Kosher aisle. Although around Passover, Jewish food gets its own special display in the front of the store. Just like Easter food and Halloween candy.

Not really vegan news but it does remind me of the issues that plant based meats face. Do they put them in with meat or do they keep them in a separate area - next to the tofu and vegan cheeses?

I may take a picture of the aisle marker my store uses. I think it even uses the words Hispanic and Asian on their "ethnic aisle"
I don't think we have a Kosher aisle. Although around Passover, Jewish food gets its own special display in the front of the store. Just like Easter food and Halloween candy.
I've wondered the same thing. Why isn't the spaghetti kept on the "ethnic aisle"? "Ethnic" seems to translate to "non-European". There's some lite racism there, though I don't think it's meant to hurt anyone.

It's probably quite different in different areas/stores. I frequent the international aisles--particularly for Parve foods. Parve certification assures you there are no animal products with the exception of possible fish or egg--which have to be labeled for allergans so...
Did you know Lipton has a Parve Ranch dressing mix? I have not tried it, but curious.I get vegan boullion cubes --Telma parve low sodium chicken, and beef flavors

I find it helpful. From what I see is more based on food branding rather than the foods themselves in most cases

Reactions: Lou and Emma JC
I would like to keep the vegan aisles vegan myself. I dislike having to hunt for vegan products amongst the dairy. Esp. plant based meats--although with the idea of them appealing to meateaters is turning me off anyways

Once foods gets thrown in the mainstream it does tend to become 'mainstream'. Maybe keeping the international (and vegan!) aisles aren't such a bad idea

• Agree
Reactions: Sax and Lou
I was grocery shopping yesterday and I forgot to look at the names of the sections.
but I think as far as vegan food it could be done more like the ice cream aisle or the dairy aisle.

BTW, I noticed that my supermarket has a whole aisle devoted to ice cream. Isn't that extremely decadent?

Anyway all the "special" ice creams are in their own little zones. Non Dairy, sugar free, low calorie are all segregated. Come to think of it - same with dairy. Plant-based milks are on the dairy aisle but separate.

For now all the Plant-based meats are frozen. but if there are un-frozen ones - they could be sold in the meat aisle, but off to the side.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC