Why do Quorn burgers have 'milk protein' in them?

The vegans of the world thank you for your assistance in reducing their convenience food choices ever closer to none whatsoever.
Let's not make this a vegetarian vs. vegan discussion. Esp. since this thread is in the vegetarian forum. (Also, it's not shyvas' fault.) I agree that Quorn (in the UK) is one of those products that are pushing vegan products off the shelves, but the shops' increasing preference for Quorn is not only a problem for vegans. Those who can't digest the mycoprotein well, strict vegetarians, lacto-vegetarians and apparently also ovo-vegetarians can all agree that Quorn is bad news.

The thing pushing vegan products off of the shelves is vegetarians, IS.

I'm not trying to make this a vegan-v-vegetarian thing.

I genuinely think most vegetarians would be mortified if they realised how hard they make things for vegans is all.

maybe it is because the Americans just like to go the whole hog, not mess about, even if they are just doing it for health, where as the British would say 'what's a little egg, or dairy?'
If anything I've noticed the opposite, that is, American vegan groups tend to be a bit more loose than the British ones.....but perhaps that doesn't translate into individual action.

I rarely eat these fake meat things but they can be convenient when eating out, for example, in the US many of the chain restaurants will offer veggie patties on their burgers but the patty usually contains dairy/egg. Thankfully none of the restaurants seem to use Quorn products.

I genuinely think most vegetarians would be mortified if they realised how hard they make things for vegans is all.
Well.....personally I'm not mortified by it and I'm not really concerned how hard I make it for vegans. But I would imagine that if anything was pushing products off the shelves of stores it would be lack of demand.

Well.....personally I'm not mortified by it and I'm not really concerned how hard I make it for vegans.

All those who profit from dairy and egg production will be absolutely ecstatic to hear that.

But I would imagine that if anything was pushing products off the shelves of stores it would be lack of demand.

It is the lack of demand within the meat free market for cruelty free products that does it. Yes.

Well.....personally I'm not mortified by it and I'm not really concerned how hard I make it for vegans. But I would imagine that if anything was pushing products off the shelves of stores it would be lack of demand.
Well, lovely for you, then, I'm glad you have a nice selection of vegetarian faux meats to choose from.

Reactions: Scorpius
Well, lovely for you, then, I'm glad you have a nice selection of vegetarian faux meats to choose from.
I don't purchase fake meats so the selection makes no difference to me but I don't think most vegetarians care whether their fake meats contain dairy/egg or not so blaming the lack of vegan options on them doesn't make much sense to me. Though I did happen to pass by the fake meat selection at my local grocery store and all the Quorn products appeared to be non-dairy, as far as I know the US doesn't have a higher concentration of vegans to vegetarians. Perhaps the US has more "meat reducers"?

It is the lack of demand within the meat free market for cruelty free products that does it. Yes.
Fake meats are purchased by non-vegetarians all the time, in fact, I'm pretty sure non-vegetarians make up most of the market for these products. There are a lot of people that try to limit their meat intake, people that are okay with some meat but would prefer to avoid others (usually beef/pork), etc.

Don't think there is such a thing as a "cruelty free" product but that is another topic. I just don't think it makes sense to blame vegetarians for the lack of vegan options, if there was solid demand for the products grocery stores would happily offer them. And I don't think vegetarians should be mortified that their shopping habits may have an indirect effect on some vegans, after all, what are they suppose to do?

Reactions: Wolfie
Fake meats are purchased by non-vegetarians all the time, in fact, I'm pretty sure non-vegetarians make up most of the market for these products. There are a lot of people that try to limit their meat intake, people that are okay with some meat but would prefer to avoid others (usually beef/pork), etc.

Don't think there is such a thing as a "cruelty free" product but that is another topic. I just don't think it makes sense to blame vegetarians for the lack of vegan options, if there was solid demand for the products grocery stores would happily offer them. And I don't think vegetarians should be mortified that their shopping habits may have an indirect effect on some vegans, after all, what are they suppose to do?

I agree. I know several omnis who eat veg products. You don't find lack of vegan products in the bigger cities because the demand is there. Here, the demand isn't as great, though it is easier to find stuff now than when I went veg. Much easier.

I haven't seen any vegan Quorn products here but then I haven't looked in a little while.