Why do Quorn burgers have 'milk protein' in them?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
IDShot_225x225.jpg

Ingredients
Mycoprotein (41%), Rehydrated Free Range Egg White, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Flour, Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch, Gelling Agent: Sodium Alginate; Colour: Caramel), Onion, Vegetable Fat, Natural Flavouring (With Salt, Sugar, Potassium Chloride, Smoked Yeast, Smoke Flavouring, Citric Acid, Garlic), Vegetable Oil, Milk Proteins, Roasted Barley Malt Extract, Potato Protein, Firming Agents: Calcium Chloride, Calcium Acetate. Contains Egg, Milk, Barley & Wheat Gluten.

Meat Free Burgers from Quorn - Healthy, Low Fat Alternatives

I realise that they used eggs as a binding ingredient, but what's with the milk protein?

The whole point(for some anyway) of Quorn is that the mycoprotein is a good protein; it is a complete protein which means(I think) that it has all 9 essential amino acids in large enough quantities.

Reactions: Dropkick and Tom L.
The US has a vegan burger:

Mycoprotein (35%), Water, Textured Wheat Protein (Wheat Protein, Wheat Starch), Onion, Potato Protein, Sunflower Oil. Contains 2% or less of Rusk (Wheat Flour, Ammonium Bicarbonate), Palm Oil, Natural Flavors From Non-Meat Sources, Salt, Sugar, Tapioca Starch, Sodium Alginate, Smoked Paprika, Pectin, Potato Maltodextrin, Barley Malt Extract, Smoked Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Smoke Flavoring, Citric Acid, Gum Arabic, Silicon Dioxide, Tricalcium Phosphate.
  1. Contains Wheat.
Quorn Website Quorn.com

meme_face_by_nskamikaze-d5f7yr0.png

:p

Reactions: Tom L.
I sent them an email before I started the thread; before I looked on the ingredients.

this is what their website says:
Does Quorn produce Vegan products?
A Quorn product suitable for a Vegan diet is currently available in the US only. Here in the UK, we've also seen the growing demand for Vegan food and are already looking at a Vegan product offer under the Quorn brand developed specifically for the UK market.

I guess they think they wouldn't make any more money by offering vegan.
If there is that little interest in vegan Quorn, then maybe my delivery Tesco wouldn't bother stocking it anyway.:rolleyes:

Also maybe they have a long term contract with freerange egg suppliers.

I guess they think they wouldn't make any more money by offering vegan.
If there is that little interest in vegan Quorn, then maybe my delivery Tesco wouldn't bother stocking it anyway.:rolleyes:

Also maybe they have a long term contract with freerange egg suppliers.

I think that the main marketing strategy of Quorn products is to promote healthy eating. As the following article stipulates, more and more people are 'part time vegetarians'.

BBC Food - Rise of the 'semi-vegetarians'

I suppose the health approach is more 'vegan' over in the US, so more of a market.

Vegan Quorn, who knew? It's frustrating to me here, that Quorn is every-freaking-where. They've even edged out Linda McCartney products in our Co-Op and Budgens (and Tesco Express, for that matter). I wish more stores would carry Redwoods/Vbites/VegiDeli, whatever the heck it's called now. Their stuff is far superior to anything else, imo.

If the milk protein is casein it would give the patty a bit of a cheese-like texture. I think its a pretty common ingredient in veggie patties.

ok, thanks flyingsnail.

I'm not sure I will get any more of those burgers.

The US has a vegan burger:

The US has a butt kicking vegan organisation called 'PETA' that is capable of doing bizarre things to those who take the **** out of veganism.

The UK has a bunch of vegans who are, quite frankly, derisible wimps.

Quorn cater for US vegans but give two fingers to vegans in the UK.

I'm speculating wildly here but I think these things could be linked.

maybe it is because the Americans just like to go the whole hog, not mess about, even if they are just doing it for health, where as the British would say 'what's a little egg, or dairy?'

Vegan Quorn, who knew? It's frustrating to me here, that Quorn is every-freaking-where. They've even edged out Linda McCartney products in our Co-Op and Budgens (and Tesco Express, for that matter). I wish more stores would carry Redwoods/Vbites/VegiDeli, whatever the heck it's called now. Their stuff is far superior to anything else, imo.

Budgens, Tesco express and Co op where I live have done the same.

They did at least used to carry a token box or two of Linda McCartney sausages/sausage rolls but have now abandoned them and have freezers heaving with Quorn products instead. Even my corner shop has made this change. So if you want to dash in and grab something mid week on your way home from work you are stuffed!

I have even had comments from omnis about how much choice we now have because 'you can buy Quorn everywhere now' YES WE KNOW! :mad:

Last edited:
I think it's because Quorn did a massive advertising campaign & shops knew it would become increasingly popular so upped their stocks of it.

It really is annoying how Quorn have vegan recipes in the US but not in the UK. Why on earth not use the same one?!

Quorn gives me a stomachache, but most of the "meats" do. I can't eat soy anymore or I get a stomachache, but even the non- soy ones bother my stomach. It is very annoying, as I like them and would like to have them every now and again.

Quorn gives me a stomachache, but most of the "meats" do. I can't eat soy anymore or I get a stomachache, but even the non- soy ones bother my stomach. It is very annoying, as I like them and would like to have them every now and again.

I wonder whether it has something to do with the way Quorn is processed ? I also think that it is nice to have the choice of buying something that you don't have to prepare and have on hand.

Reactions: ledboots
It's something to do with the microprotein or the specific type they use that makes people ill. It makes me very sick if I have much Quorn.