Why do canned tomatoes have a deeper red color than fresh?

Another reason to avoid canned tomatoes: BPA in the can lining :/

That's pretty common for organic corn, actually. We get an organic box of produce from a buying club and they warn us about them. I remember when my mom used to keep a garden ans the corn always had a big green worm in the end. :)

Yep, but it sucks and is pretty gross. I have this problem with the local broccoli I get also. The worst part is that the worms tend to be small and the exact same color as the broccoli so they are very difficult to see. :mad: It never fails, there are always some worm casualties when I chop it up no matter how much I rinse it off beforehand.

Yep, but it sucks and is pretty gross. I have this problem with the local broccoli I get also. The worst part is that the worms tend to be small and the exact same color as the broccoli so they are very difficult to see. :mad: It never fails, there are always some worm casualties when I chop it up no matter how much I rinse it off beforehand.

The corn worms don't really bother me because they are easy to remove. Broccoli worms are a different issue because like you said it is nearly impossible to get rid of them. Same as when kale is sometimes infested with those little grey bugs. Yick :(

Reactions: thefadedone
:yes: firstly they're plum tomatoes... which are pretty red in the first place.... and they're relatively over-ripe too (makes them redder)... they're cooked and canned and they add citric acid to stop them spoiling- all contribute to the redness.

interesting thing that you'd prefer not to know:

crappy quality tomatoes= whole canned
really crappy/spoiled= chopped/diced canned
too crappy for that= crushed
extreme crappiness= passata/sauced
yeah= paste.

Where did you get this? From what I've learned and seen, commercial and serious home canners raise tomatoes specifically for canning, rather than relying on culls. They are allowed to ripen to a much greater extent than tomatoes that are sold fresh, since the factor of getting them to market and sold isn't a factor. That's why sauces made from canned tomatoes are superior and why quality restaurants uses canned when cooking with tomatoes.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
Where did you get this? From what I've learned and seen, commercial and serious home canners raise tomatoes specifically for canning, rather than relying on culls. They are allowed to ripen to a much greater extent than tomatoes that are sold fresh, since the factor of getting them to market and sold isn't a factor. That's why sauces made from canned tomatoes are superior and why quality restaurants uses canned when cooking with tomatoes.
This is true. Canning does not improve the quality of produce, and if you start off with trash you will get an even worse version of trash if you can it.

:yes: firstly they're plum tomatoes... which are pretty red in the first place.... and they're relatively over-ripe too (makes them redder)... they're cooked and canned and they add citric acid to stop them spoiling- all contribute to the redness.

interesting thing that you'd prefer not to know:

crappy quality tomatoes= whole canned
really crappy/spoiled= chopped/diced canned
too crappy for that= crushed
extreme crappiness= passata/sauced
yeah= paste.

... and they also contain maggots and fly eggs. but probably under 10 per can. :p

http://www.fda.gov/ICECI/ComplianceManuals/CompliancePolicyGuidanceManual/ucm074642.htm

and a whole bunch of mould.... blargh. :(

http://www.fda.gov/Food/GuidanceCom...danceDocuments/Sanitation/ucm056174.htm#CHPTR

but anywhooooo. :D

Thanks for the informative post. I knew that moldy tomatoes could be used in canned tomatoes, but I didn't know there was a hierarchy of bad tomatoes to the level of being whole vs pureed. So, if I were to continue to buy canned tomatoes, I suppose whole tomatoes would be the best choice...

I have noticed a big difference in quality across name brands. I usually buy Hunt's organic diced and have been very happy with the firmness and taste. Not too long ago, I bought a can of Del Monte fire roasted and they were mushy with no firmness at all. I was completely disappointed.

Worse news to me is that canned tomatoes have BPA in them. One of these days I'll break down and buy jarred.

I have always wondered about this. I made pasta tonight with fresh tomatoes. It tasted incredibly good, but it didn't look as good as when I make pasta with canned tomatoes. Do they add color to canned tomatoes? Is it something about the processing of them? I couldn't find any info on this on Google.

I think they just use leftovers from these guys:
Screenshot2012-07-17at94549PM.png

Reactions: FortyTwo

I agree with you. Canning quality goods can grow riper and be bred for flavor and color and other factors instead of shelf-life and consistent appearance.